Automated Fixtures Don't buy Studio Color 575 units from loboenrique on ebay

TDjohn

Hi, I bought a Studio Color from this guy on ebay. I have used ebay for used lights as many of you have without issue.

All of us who use SC know they require work. But, as these units drop in price, the work they require seems like less a burden.

Well, anyway, people like Loboenrique are selling units that don't work, then they hide from you when it is time for a return.

So, if you are in the market for used automated lighting, buyer beware. As for me, I will not be using this guy again. He is Longview Texas and he was selling quite a few of these units.

As for me, I trust paypal will make it right. That represents another tip to you all, when buying used stuff online, use paypal for your own protection.

This makes me think of an idea for this site. Perhaps we could create a space to submit honest reviews of people selling used gear online.

John

Paying through them with a credit credit card gives you more protection. If/when paypal lets you down you can still challenge the credit card charge. A friend got burned when paypal couldn't/wouldn't refund him since the seller had no money in their paypal account.

So, I had to look, I could only find one seller in Texas.
HIGH in Clothing, Shoes & Accessories | eBay
Now this is a really weird ad, it is listed under stage lighting: single units, but it is for a lot of 12
It uses auctiva for picture hosting, but no pictures show up.
It states that the lot is in Dripping Springs, Texas, yet claims to include free shipping from outside the US.
Ad copy states that the item must be picked up in St. Louis, Mo.
It does state that only 8 of the units are working.
It states that all the extra spare parts will be included if you purchase using "Buy It Now", but no buy it now option is shown, and this is from a seller with nearly 9000 transactions?
Sorry, this doesn't help the OP at all, but I had to share this one, OOps, I checked the link after posting and item is no longer available.

If you aren't making seller reviews on Ebay you're doing yourself and everyone who may or may not purchase from him a diservice.

Grog's right. When using EBay use their review system. If the person has very few reviews or bad reviews I won't buy. When a purchase is complete, place your own review there.

As for me, I would be unlikely to buy used gear on-line from anyone but Gear Source or Solaris (or someone I trust from CB).

Grog's right. When using EBay use their review system. If the person has very few reviews or bad reviews I won't buy. When a purchase is complete, place your own review there.

As for me, I would be unlikely to buy used gear on-line from anyone but Gear Source or Solaris (or someone I trust from CB).

It all depends on what your buying. No way would I buy a moving light. I would consider a used conventional fixture if the seller had good pics and feedback.

I bought my moving lights off eBay.
We buy tons of stuff on eBay, problems are few and far between.
Just ask plenty of questions and establish item history if possible.

I have purchased about 2/3rds of our theatre inventory from ebay. I mostly deal in conventionals and almost always ETC products. Very often I am looking for units that are less than perfect, because that is very often where I get my best deals. I have even purchased boxes of Source 4 parts. I sort clean and paint the parts and when I have enough for a complete instrument, it gets assembled and used.
the important part of this type of purchase is being able to read between the lines, ask the right questions, and use a little seller/buyer psychology. Having said that, AV for sale in Atlanta, is my ebay favorite. Often the gear they are selling has a problem or two, but they have tested everything and give very accurate descriptions of the operating condition of the equipment. Their packing and shipping is first rate. They once sent me the wrong item, but made it all correct in a very short time and at their expense. Also very polite.
I have been burned a couple of times by some other vendors, but luckily for me not at a great expense. I am fortunate that I have the skills and tools to make most any item usable.
I think that avkid said it right. Do some research about a fair price, the sellers reviews, and use some common sense. If it seems questionable, ask questions. If it stinks, don't buy.

Hi all,

I use ebay very successfully. In that, I mean, that I stretch my budget by least double through ebay. I also am able to do R&D projects with raw LEDS. It is great fun and successful.

For example: I have invented a very useful fixture in a 40 foot long pipe fixture - yes it is 40 feet long. And it is lighter than a source 4, 12 volts, dmx on 4 channels, 110 volt supply. It lights the top 2 feet of my cyc. Why? well, I hate that "light lag shadow" at the top of the upstage hang position. I do not want to see the shape of the fixture on the cyc. I want a solid field. I now have it.

My current favorite ebay seller is BML inc. They sell off ebay too. They answer the phone, and emails promptly. generico-bmlinc (2275)

So, why did I buy this one studio color from Texas? Well, it was $500. I already have many of them and that means I fix them. To own a studio color is to fix a studio color. I sent it back because the problems were adding up on a fixture advertised as "used, but fully functional." Is was used, but not functional. Not even tested. I opened it up and the inside was filled with white powder - busted bulb. Not cleaned. Not serviced. The guy lied. He has still yet to pay, and is making a shipping claim to hold up the process. Sigh.

So, the warning continues on this guy... .l u i s (or) r i c k y p l a t .. a is the guys name. In Texas, yes. his score is (223) so he has been around ebay for awhile. loboe nrique is the ebay name. I hope none of you have the issues I face now. But he looked Ok from the outset.

Aside: My friend pointed out that Mercury was in retrograde in February. Maybe that's why the deal went sour. IDK. I'm just done with it.

So, how about the ebay feedback system? I find it inadequate. It is very serious to give negative feedback and one is strongly discouraged from even giving neutral feedback. I have often thought of building a real feedback site, but the site would probably fail just for being too honest. I would suggest a honest discussions of all vendors here on this site, tho. Maybe we could have an area that can only be searched by logged in members of CB. That would be useful.

Why put up with that? Well Sc's work great for what they do when they are working. With what I know now, I'd say plan to have 25% of you SC stock on the ground at any one time. Even with that, $500 is cheap for a mover with that much output. I paid $850 for my Trackspots some 15 years ago. That was a deal, too. Mover do a bulk of the work these days.

I will continue to use ebay to get deals on movers, source 4's and little experimental parts. Heck I just bought a 30v 10A variable bench power supply for $106. That's a good deal to me. When you play with led's you need at least on of those.

Anyway. I am *not* very mad about this situation. This is just part of doing business in an ebay world. NTL, I figure we can have strength in numbers in terms of used lighting or other gear by talking to each other on CB. If we really tried maybe we could influence the standard of expected prices and condition of such items. I used facebook to overthrow a bad condo board just by having all concerned parties post what they witnessed - with photos. It worked.

As far as avoiding ebay goes...well that is not practical for me. I need to do alot with a little. I do agree with the trusted seller point, tho. Maybe I learned not to bite on too good a deal. I hope so.

John

It may have been buy it now, but once someone puts a bid in, the buy it now option often disappears. A lot of 12 is considered 1 item. Another e-bay peculiarity. As for shipping from Texas/US that's not uncommon with overseas re-sellers. You have to be really careful.

I'd change the thread title because this doesn't seem to be about HES SC575 so much as it is a warning about the seller.

Hi, Sorry to mislead you with the title, Len.

NTL, the title does say the seller's name and the warning and that he was selling studio colors. I am not sure how to change it. I think I'd suggest creating an ebay discussion section of this CB site. A place where we can go look right before we are going to purchase something from ebay. A place where we can post great deals spotted would be nice, too.

Update on the original story is that ebay refunded my money. Just after that, our shipping dept said they got a notice from UPS that said the guy tried to ship the unit back to us today. Funny. I got the refund and now he is rejecting the return. We'll see how this pans out. I don't think he can return something on our account with UPS. Ebay did find in my favor, so I think that is a done deal. I'll let you know.

John

Here's a thought - why not find someone to pair with CB members who has a law practice, online or brick-and-mortar, and can at least help out with Ebay swindlers. My brother worked for an attorney once and had a seller burn him on ebay, and when he wouldn't refund money for an item that was never shipped, all it took was a serious legal letter sent from this practice and all was made well very quickly. Not saying Paypal isn't effective, but food for thought if you do get into a pickle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back