Door flat Reusable portable sturdy DESIGNS

hamlett22

Hi

I wish to build a portable reusable door-flat that is strong and durable. Will consider steel. I do not mind if it is a bit heavy as long as it is durable, free standing and can be moved by two or three people.

Does anyone have some designs you'd be willing to share? front, rear, cross sectional?

Probably needs to be skinned on both sides for proper balance.

Thanks

hamlett22

A simple 2x4 frame will usually do just fine on this one. I built 3 rolling ones for a kid show last year and they were 2x4 and held up just fine. Skin both sides for stability, I usually use luan. Attatch the whole thing to a piece of 3/4" ply and run at least one small 45 degree jack and that should do it. Does this thing ever have to tie into a larger wall system or is it just a standing door for rehearsal/minimalistic use?

Many will use a piece of flat bar let into the bottom to keep the tweak out when it is moved.

I actually built one of these about one month ago, for Adelaide's dressing room in Guys and Dolls. Ours was only a 1x4 frame with nailing strip on the connections and 1/2" plywood skinning one side, but we could have done both. I heartily agree with mstaylor's comment about the bar on the bottom. Ours had no such bar, as I didn't think of it when building, and after I noticed how the thing tweaked, especially when moving it, I had no time to fix it. My issue would be the actors tripping on it. I suppose that if it was steel, and less than 1/2" thick, it would be safe, but more than that and I would worry about tripping danger.

Usually called a sill iron and is invaluable for any doorway that moves/flys.

Where can I get one? Home Depot? Or are they a build-it-yourself thing?

Where can I get one? Home Depot? Or are they a build-it-yourself thing?

1" 1/8" strap steel is usually what I use. Allow about 6" on each side to secure to the bottom of the door frame. You can buy this steel at home depot, they usually sell strap steel in lengths 4' or less. However, you can get 20' at your local steel yard for the same price as one of the 4' home depot pieces.

Also check with a metal fab shop and they may have some end cuts that will work. I have never seen one tripped on and if an actor can find something to trip on they will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back