Double vs. Singe Purchase Linesets

They could have some type of clearance issue. I can't really think of a real good reason, but I have seen all kinds of weird things done when it comes to double purchase sets. The "fly faster" thing is not really real due to the amount of work you have to do to get the piece to move. No one would put the expense into a double purchase system if they could avoid it.

Care to post the specs?

Perhaps they want the scenery battens to be able to come to the floor. And go out to the grid.

Electrics don't need full travel.
Permanent blacks and masking. Probably don't need full travel.

Guys, thanks for the comments... they all make sense of course. Not able to post the specs at the present time.

Perhaps they want the scenery battens to be able to come to the floor. And go out to the grid.

Electrics don't need full travel.
Permanent blacks and masking. Probably don't need full travel.
Plausible but why design and build a stage that requires that is beyond comprehension. A rigging pit would cost less than the premium for a dozen sets to be double purchased, not to mention the lifetime of extra work.

As far as I know, I've only been in one house with double purchase battens. The last dozen or so battens on the far upstage right were double purchase because of a loading door beneath them. The venue itself was build in the 50s.

Looking over the specs for a theatre and the question is.....
If the lock rail to the CW system is at the stage floor, why would the free pipes be double purchase and everything else (curtains, cyc, electrics) be single purchase? The double purchase pipes could be flown faster perhaps?

Most double purchase linesets are rigged with the handline 2:1, to keep it running the same speed as a single purchase lineset (You pull the rope a foot--the piece moves a foot), If they were double purchase linesets with a single purchase handline (I've not seen such a thing, but I'm sure they probably exist somewhere) then yes, you could theoretically move a piece faster, though it would probably take more effort to do so.

Weird. I've seem and contemplated for my venue single purchase electrics and double purchase standard battens... Would never consider going the other way. Why make your heaviest sets double is beyond me.
It is odd but my guess is the electrics were to be motorized - classic drum winch on the gallery under a tandem headblock - but budget cuts at end forced a late in construction change. A guess.

Plausible but why design and build a stage that requires that is beyond comprehension. A rigging pit would cost less than the premium for a dozen sets to be double purchased, not to mention the lifetime of extra work.
Unless they are building on bedrock blasting is expensive.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back