Dressing Cable Outdoors?

TheSwami

As the master-electrician for a show loading into a non-traditional space this May, I'm facing some non-traditional cable dressing problems. Namely, how to properly dress cable run over concrete and grass. The show itself is being mounted on a golf course and on the adjacent pro-shop patio and vehicle storage area, so cables are running over a variety of surfaces (wood deck, mulch, etc).

There area a couple areas where cable-ramps are likely to be our solution, but for running, say, a single 10' run of SJOOW 16-3 over a relatively low traffic area, that seems excessive. Are there any tape or dressing solutions I should look at? I figure gaff will just pull off the dirty surface like it does off a dirty stage. Ditto grass: should I stake into the ground??

(Bonus thought: this will be Spring in Chicago, so dry weather is not guaranteed. That's presenting its own concerns for the actual instruments, but weatherproof-ish cable dressing solutions would be ideal.)

I think your on the right path with staking the grass. I would throw down some sort of obvious rubber runner sandwiching the cable and grab some ground spikes and spike the grass either with a double hole conduit clamp or just right through the rubber and the to keep it outdoor friendly I would seal the to rubber piece with water resistant tape on the edges. The concrete is a different beast but the rubber will work kinda. I would put yellow tape on it have it stick out. The deck would still go with rubber and screw down the conduit clamps. Of course this is just all my speculation and opinion.

For concrete especially, but most of the other surfaces as well, if you can get ahold of some commercial ~3x6 rubber door mats, those work wonderfully as makeshift low-profile cable ramps.

I've seen a number of different things done.
Hi foot traffic / car traffic / cart traffic areas - Cable ramps will be your friend. Make sure to get handicapped ramps if needed.

Low Foot traffic - if across concrete / wood - some sort of heavy matting (I've seen carpets and dance marley used most) tapped down with gaff - 2 strips of 2" or 4" will be best. If across grass, I've seen large staples used across single runs of cable - they are about 1" wide, 2" long. You pull the cable straight and push them down around it.

You can also get barricade fencing to create "backstage" areas to run your cable. This might also be nice to have to kinda block off areas where people can wander and get into trouble or affect an event. Like around any generators, transformers, bases of truss with lots of cable coming down, etc.

I'd say the most effective way to do it, is avoid running cables where you need to cover them; behind bushes, up against walls, etc. Only cross paths when it's needed. Since you are on a golf course, plan for cable ramps everywhere a golf cart will cross or on solid walkways / decking, where people will cross. If it is on concrete and a person WILL walk there, it should probably get a cable ramp.

Since you said it may be wet, E-Tape every connection. If running through a gutter, have blocks of wood or ply that you can use to get connectors up and out of the gutter in case of running water. Only have power on when it is needed or isn't raining. And if it does look like rain, try and cover everything with trashbags / plastic before it all gets wet. Common sense should dictate here, don't run things that might get hot with the bags / coverings on. Don't turn on power if it will endanger anyone. The idea is to keep things dry as possible.

If you're on a golf course, then find out early on where the irrigation lines are.
Lots of people will be unhappy if you drive a spike in the wrong place ;)

Most of the above mentioned solutions are great ideas, but I just want to add that when you do run the cable, and if you have any areas that are not covered in mats or ramps, but you still want to keep them in place, I use garden staples fairly often to make sure things stay in place:

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 179
I agree with the comment about running cable such that cable crossings aren't as much of an issue. It'll take more cable, but go ahead and run the cable all the way to a treeline/road/something else so that it's out of the way. You won't need as many cable ramps, and it'll also present a cleaner look for the client.

Also, for connections out in the open, I've often found success by taping the connection with e-tape, then covering it in a plastic bag and taping that. The plastic bag will prevent any seepage, like if the strain relief on the stage pin is loose. You can get 3 or 4 connections out of a single bag, or cut up trash bags, or anything else. Everything else kinda depends on your plot. If you have moving lights, consider building some simple rain covers for them so that you aren't running around striking them all at the first sign of rain.

There area a couple areas where cable-ramps are likely to be our solution, but for running, say, a single 10' run of SJOOW 16-3 over a relatively low traffic area, that seems excessive. Are there any tape or dressing solutions I should look at? I figure gaff will just pull off the dirty surface like it does off a dirty stage. Ditto grass: should I stake into the ground??

I think this defines the reason to use SO cable and not junior cable... get that issue fixed first then start looking at cable paths.

I think this defines the reason to use SO cable and not junior cable... get that issue fixed first then start looking at cable paths.
Exaclty, SJ cable has no place in a "show" environment other than in fan outs.
I don't care if we are talking elementary school theatre, or an outdoor amphitheater.

Most of the above mentioned solutions are great ideas, but I just want to add that when you do run the cable, and if you have any areas that are not covered in mats or ramps, but you still want to keep them in place, I use garden staples fairly often to make sure things stay in place:

Never seen those. Think I'm going to have to get some.

Thank you all for all the suggestions! To collate what's been said so far for future reference:

Cable Dressings:
  • Heavy rubber mats/runners, staked to grass or taped to concrete (possibly with brightly colored tape for visibility)
  • Individual sloped cable covers for solo cables.
  • Cable ramps for high traffic/vehicle passage areas
  • Garden Staples can be used to keep things in place on grass
  • Wrap connections in e-tape, then secure a plastic bag/plastic covering over the connection to keep water out.
  • Use wood blocks or other elevations to keep cable out of gutters or other water-prone areas.
Other Suggestions:
  • Don't use SJ cable in a show environment (Point well taken. Seems this has come up on Controlbooth before, thanks for setting me straight.)
  • Avoid running across high traffic areas as much as possible. Run along roadways, through treelines, and through "backstage" areas when possible.
  • Keep things neat and orderly to avoid trip hazards and present a clean look for the client.
  • Beware of irrigation lines when staking into grass
Much obliged.

I've also used the methods above but thought I'd add a couple.

Btw +1 on rubber mats.

I've been doing outdoor shows between theatre and music festivals etc (yay folk festivals) for many years. For one such festival dressing the cables on site takes a multi staged approach, with 6 stages and vender tents that require power through the park it's hosted in.

The main stage cable runs to the FOH booth tent are simply run along the perimeter behind all seating areas and wrapped loosely in yellow caution tape to prevent being driven over in the few areas where there are not bushes etc to protect them.
The vendor power is all done in NMWU and like direct burial wire and temporarily slit trenched just barely below the surface (the anal electrical inspector who is new to the area approves) while incorrect for installations all the inspectors I've talked to (an I know quite a few) approve for temporary. The best part is that the grass is fine after teardown, the cable is pulled out and sod tamped down by foot an watered. Can't tell after a day or two.
The power lines for side stages are all SOOW cable and covered in rubber mats where foot traffic is.
Of course most of the other power cables are SO.
Where heavy traffic and cars go over cable protectors are used. Rented for the pa company.
I've also done a trick where laying a cable on burial tape (like caution tape) and taping shut to slit trench SO cable for a day long event. Technically not correct but again my inspector then gave it an okay, so whatever. Doubt the new one would okay it.

Think that's the most of it.

Another note, watch Trafffic on irrigated grass as well. I've seen sprinkler heads break. Couldn't tell until the system ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another note, watch Trafffic on irrigated grass as well. I've seen sprinkler heads break. Couldn't tell until the system ran.

I have a feeling that tyre pressure has been known to cause issues on plastic irrigation pipes depending on how deeply they are buried also...

I have a feeling that tyre pressure has been known to cause issues on plastic irrigation pipes depending on how deeply they are buried also...

Absolutely, depending on if they were installed expecting on that kind of traffic or not. If not make sure to be very careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-Line and other packaging suppliers sells clear plastic sleeving that's handy for weather proofing connectors. I typically tape the uphill end, and leave the downhill end open to drain, otherwise I have seen the sleeves fill with water that creeps in under the tape. Also, I've seen connectors fill with water from being e-taped. General thought is that making it hard for water to get in also makes it hard for the water to get back out. If possible, raise the connections of anything carrying real power above the ground a bit, so it sheds water better, and can't end up in the bottom of a puddle.

You didn't say how long the event runs - if it's several days, the grounds crew might want to mow the grass you're laying cable through, and sometimes mic lines will absorb enough water through the jacket to start causing micro-shorts internally, screwing up your audio.

Around here the pictured above garden staples are called Sod Staples. I use them all the time running power in tents. Every 24" works nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back