Dual Consoles for the Same Rig

Dsync

Hey everyone. I am running club style lights in a theatrical setting using an Avolites Azure console. I have a large show coming up in a few weeks and was considering bringing in a second Azure console and linking them together to give me more workspace. I'd use one console to handle my dimmer channels and moving light chases and the other for show cues and moving light memories like for pan/tilt and color.

My question is can I simply run a 5 pin DMX line from the output on console A to the input on console B? If so, wound I just need to patch my fixtures on both consoles and program memories and chases like normal? Or are there complications to a setup like this?

Thanks for your help!!

I'll second Gerard's comments. I'm not sure it's possible, but even if it is you don't want to store your palettes on one console and run the show from another. Why do you think you need two consoles? If it's more playbacks you want just get a wing. By the way, nice to see another Avo user here! We're a vast minority here on CB so welcome!

You could use a DMX combiner type box to combine the output from both boards, DFD has them but they're not cheap.

Thank you all for your replies!!

Just a few more questions. Wouldn't it be possible to have the pallets for dimmers on console A, and pallets for fixtures on console B? Then run 5 pin dmx from A's output to B's input? Isn't that what the dmx input is for? It seems easier to use console B as a sort of "pass through" to my already wired rig rather than running a new line and getting all the dimmer boxes hooked up to that new line. And each light would only receive signals from one console. (Not both). So I don't see how that could cause trouble.

If my solution isn't possible, then could someone explain what that 5 pin dmx input is for on my console?? I can't think of any other logical reason it would be there other than to link two consoles.

I like the idea of a wing, but I already have access to a second identical console. So it's cheaper to just use that. (If it's possible)

@bishopthomas Thanks. I really like the community here and wish I'd joined sooner. I certainly noticed a lack of Avo users here when I was browsing around :(

From azure2000man.pdf :
The 5 pin XLR plug labelled “DMX input” on the back of the console is not
currently in use.
So that answers that. :(

You're back to either:
1. Using a DMX combiner, or
2. Running the two consoles as completely separate systems, one for movers, one for dimmers.

But I wouldn't do either one. I'd get a Pearl (and BTW, I hate the Pearl), assuming it uses syntax you're familiar with.

I second Derick's idea of using a Pearl but that may not be a possibility. If you need to use the two boards you have then run them seperately. It isn't the answer you were looking for but it's the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back