Control/Dimming EDI Mark VII non dims

lwinters630

I am trying to find out how to use the non-dims or constant modules on the front of the multilink on the Mark VII dimmer rack.

I have two EDI Mark VII racks and no manuals for them. The auditorium has two wall on/off stations, take control with 5 sliders and 6 toggles in the booth, and back stage is a wall panel with recordable presets, sliders, toggles, and RFU input. I have a motorized screen that works on two toggles.

I am adding LEDs lights to our electrics 1-5 and also FOH. I need to get non dim power there, so if I can change a dimmed to a non dim on each electric that will work. The questions is how do I use the non dims that are in the Mark VII racks? :rolleyes:

I am trying to find out how to use the non-dims or constant modules on the front of the multilink on the Mark VII dimmer rack.

I have two EDI Mark VII racks and no manuals for them. The auditorium has two wall on/off stations, take control with 5 sliders and 6 toggles in the booth, and back stage is a wall panel with recordable presets, sliders, toggles, and RFU input. I have a motorized screen that works on two toggles.

I am adding LEDs lights to our electrics 1-5 and also FOH. I need to get non dim power there, so if I can change a dimmed to a non dim on each electric that will work. The questions is how do I use the non dims that are in the Mark VII racks? :rolleyes:
Are you refering to the small holes all over the front of the multilink, That what appears to be small staples are inserted into. If so, these are for determining which of the dimmers in the rack can be controlled not only by the DMX input, but also by 0-10 volt DC control. The analog or 0-10 control are used for door switches, emergency lighting and backstage faders.
To best of my knowlege, any non dim function is from a constant 10 volt DC being switched through this panel.
If you really want to change some of your dimmed modules to straight power, it could be done by removing the Solid state relay and the choke of the module, and running the breaker directly to the output pin. If you don't understand how to do this, have an electrician with dimmer experience do the work. What ever you do, don't plug your LED instruments into a circuit containing a Solid State Relay.

I have a mark VII rack as do the two high schools in my town, and I have worked on all of them quite extensively. If you have detailed questions, email me at [email protected]

Tom Johnson

Thanks for your reply.
In one manual/spec for SPI Dimmers said on line "#19 When used with EDI memory controllers, this dimmer may function as a nondim. When functioning as a nondim, the module functions with both incandescentand inductive loads."

I see the analog matrix, but there is a module above that that has 12 switches labeled constant and another set of 6 labeled nondim. so I am wondering how to access them. are they hard wired on the back? and can they be addressed via DMX?

Thanks for your reply.
In one manual/spec for SPI Dimmers said on line "#19 When used with EDI memory controllers, this dimmer may function as a nondim. When functioning as a nondim, the module functions with both incandescentand inductive loads."

I see the analog matrix, but there is a module above that that has 12 switches labeled constant and another set of 6 labeled nondim. so I am wondering how to access them. are they hard wired on the back? and can they be addressed via DMX?

I believe that the nondims mentioned are true nondims still going through a Solid State Relay and although they mention that they can deal with an inductive load, that it is because it has a "Snubber Circuit". This is not the same as a constant power connection. There are quite a few posts on the forum, discussing the problems of powering Movers and LED circuitry from nondims.
I am sorry that I have no info on the module above the multilink, but all of the Mark VIIs that I have worked on don't have such a module. Let me say that all of the EDI racks that I have seen have some sort of custom mod. It seems to be a common function of the EDI installs.

Tom Johnson

I went and looked at a Mark IV at a church I know and they had a relay module in there as well which was addressable. Next I opened up my Mark VII and found 12 constant breakers with wires connected going to undetermined location. on the 6 Non-dims they went to actual mechanical solenoid relays that had low voltage type plugs that looked like they would plug on a pc board. I suspect that the addressable relay that the church has is what I am missing. However I did find out that mine actually go to a sub-panel back stage and also one in the tech booth that turn on work lights on each electrics over the stage.

so basically I think I have traced this down and unless I can find a relay panel for the EDI rack I cannot address them from the board.

Thanks for all your Insight.
smiley_24.gif

Larry Winters

As a follow up to this thread. I found that the 6 relay's went through the stage panel and in the booth actually control "work light" 2P&G on each of the electrics. In upgrading our auditorium, I added 28 elation par zoom's and powered them from these relays. In cutting off the 2P&G's to put on Edison, we found that the wires were crumbling. Tracing that back inside the electric race, found a lot of wires failing and fraying. All the electrics over stage and in the catwalks had to be changed. We added an ION console, LED pars, and a host of Source 4 ellipsoidals. ETC networks to each electric. Quite an upgrade from the antiquated Altman q360 and strip lights that were older than . . . . . It has really helped as we have put on top quality shows like Phantom of the opera, West side Story and will do Les Miserable spring 2013 (yes with a revolve). I will try to post some pictures soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back