Control/Dimming EDI to ETC dimmer rack switch

Hey, y'all, long-time reader hoping for some help here: I work at a public high school and we're hoping to swap out our existing EDI dimmer console (w/ D2-MX dimmers) with an ETC Sensor -series rack that we are getting donated to us.

The EDI rack has power and DMX1 lines running in (in addition to the 98 dimmer circuits). Will this be as easy as just pulling out the old EDI rack and popping in the new ETC rack? OR, does the ETC require some additional control circuits in order to operate? Will the ETC CEM work with "any" DMX-capable console, or do we need ETClink-capable consoles?

THANK YOU!!

-Dave

Last edited:
Hey, y'all, long-time reader hoping for some help here: I work at a public high school and we're hoping to swap out our existing EDI dimmer console (w/ D2-MX dimmers) with an ETC Sensor -series rack that we are getting donated to us.

The EDI rack has power and DMX1 lines running in (in addition to the 98 dimmer circuits). Will this be as easy as just pulling out the old EDI rack and popping in the new ETC rack? OR, does the ETC require some additional control circuits in order to operate? Will the ETC CEM work with "any" DMX-capable console, or do we need ETClink-capable consoles?

THANK YOU!!

-Dave

I think you are confusing a bit of terminology. You have a dimmer rack which contains the dimmers and control electronics for them, and you have a lighting console which is used to program looks and cues on stage. The console talks to the dimmer rack via DMX and tells the rack which dimmers to turn on to which levels.

To answer your question. Yes, it should be fairly simple to swap in the new dimmer rack. You WILL NEED a licensed electrician to do the work, and since you are a school, you will probably need a district electrician. If this is a brand new rack that is being donated you will probably also need to have an ETC technician come out to commission the system. If it is used gear, this may not be required. However, if it is not required to have someone from ETC commission the installation, it would be recommended, so I would contact your local ETC dealer to find out.

As far as control goes, if your existing console has a DMX output, it will be able to control the ETC Sensor rack. There is probably a DMX line that already exists between your existing console and the dimmer racks which can continue to be used. The installers will terminate one end in the new dimmer rack and the other end will connect to your console just as it has. All current ETC dimming systems will accept a DMX input from any console that can send compliant DMX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back