Electric Batten Transfer

I am working on transferring a dead hung electric to a new double purchase lineset. Without getting too far into the engineering, the system has a total of 26 linesets with the t-track for more. The electric is awkwardly trussed: top and bottom batten either side of the raceway and an 18" bracket out to a third overhang batten. The overhang pipe is to be struck once we can safely get to it.

The question is... What is the best procedure for transferring to the new rigging?

So far we have discussed attaching the batten and overhauling it with a chain motor. With it being double purchase the op rail is sitting on a deck above the stage. We would attach our chain motor to a pallet of weight on the deck ~2100 lbs and run the hook up to the arbor through the op deck grid. Once the arbor is in we could load weight and lower it to working height, remove some weight and pull the overhang off.

BUT, we may not have access to a chain motor. The thought then is to use a chain fall or lever hoist in its place.

Trying to think outside the box AND, more importantly, keep my crew safe!

While I don't feel I can comment on the specifics of the procedure while not standing in the room, one thing: I'm sure you know this, but with a double-purchase system you need twice the weight (and twice the hoist, plus safety factor) on the arbor as on the system pipe. Do you know the weight of the electric?

While I don't feel I can comment on the specifics of the procedure while not standing in the room, one thing: I'm sure you know this, but with a double-purchase system you need twice the weight (and twice the hoist, plus safety factor) on the arbor as on the system pipe. Do you know the weight of the electric?

We are certainly aware of the ratio. The electric fully loaded is roughly 950 lbs so a 1 ton hoist will pull it. Considering a mild design factor for the (very) temporary load we will end up strapping two pallets of weight.

We're discussing having the client strip it before we get there, it would cut out at least 250 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back