Element to ArtNet to Arduino

Morydd

We're trying to build a prop with several LEDs that (hopefully) can be individually controlled. The idea was to be able to control them via the light board (ETC Element). I've enlisted a friend who's very good with electronics, but has no theatrical background. It looks like we could build an Arduino controller for the LEDs, and it seems like there are ways to get it to interpret ArtNet.

The plan is to use https://www.adafruit.com/products/284 for programming,
this Arduino Uno Ethernet ID: 418 - $65.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits for the board and then patch the appropriate channels to send ArtNet.

If anyone has any experience with this, and can tell me if we're missing anything critical, I'd appreciate your knowledge. Also, if there is a better way to go about this, I'd like to know.

I think we're going to do ethernet for this one, it sits on a desk and doesn't move, so one less thing to troubleshoot. For future versions we may go to wifi for ease of placement and wireless. Our current design should (in theory) also be able to trigger relays.

n1ist: Thanks for the links.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back