Microphones EMERGENCY Wireless Mic Issue! Please Help!!

Altman364

Hello all,

During a dress rehearsal we were using wireless mic packs, recently serviced with brand new industrial grade energizer AA batteries. I got a complaint from one actor that their pack was burning them and, never having had this ever happen before I had her come to the booth. When I removed the pack it was extremely hot. I removed the batteries and they were hotter than I've ever felt them before. Any ideas???

Was the mic operating fine aside from the surface temperature? What make and model of mic is it? The first two things that come to mind is a potential bad batch of batteries. The next is a connection issue (too loose) with the battery contacts. If you have any batteries left in that batch / package you might want to meter them to see if they are outputting the proper voltage.

~Dave

Yes, it could be bad batteries. If a different set of batteries exhibits the same problem, then I would suspect that the belt pack is drawing excessive current, essentially a short circuit load. Excessive current would be a symptom of a belt pack that needs to go in for repair. It would be worth testing with a set of batteries fresh from a store and different brand, in case you have a bad manufacturing batch, just to eliminate as many variables as possible.

If the belt pack proves to be bad, I recommend not attempting to use it before it is repaired. The batteries can get hot enough to permanently damage the pack, injure the person wearing it, or even explode.

Make sure that you're putting the batteries in the right way. I know that EW300s will short the batteries if you put them in opposing each other instead of pointing in the same direction. The shunting diode will start to draw power in the wrong direction and cook one battery with the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back