Automated Fixtures Encoder Values Over RDM

It's a protocol, not a defined set of commands. Does it allow a manufacture to add that feature - probably - though both the device and the controller need to have that feature . Have any? Not that I know of.

I assume you know of RDM Protocol » Homepage

Bill. Thanks for the link. I had not seen that site.

To the Op. I'm having trouble understanding what you are trying to do. Do you want a message that says "pan is at 110 degrees" or something else?

What do you want to do with this message?

Just curious

Well, I can appreciate that it might be useful to know "where are you" instead of telling it to go home - and take on faith it did that - and then telling it to go where you want it - but the fact that the protocol more or less seems to just keep yelling "be here" ....well, a simple minded view of DMX/RDM. The fact that there is a standard for a protocol to get some information back from a device you are sending directions is nice but still nearly open loop. Seems useful to simplify "who is there" and I like the ability to remotely set DMX addresses for LED house lights because getting then all preset before install and trying to get a basic electrician to hang each one in the right place when they all look the same - well - not easy. I was disappointed to learn that we can't set the fan speed on PL units and that it arrives preset to high (noise) out of caution, but so be it.

Does any LED unit report back on RDM what it's dimmer values are? No reason to know but curious.

Well, I can appreciate that it might be useful to know "where are you" instead of telling it to go home - and take on faith it did that - and then telling it to go where you want it - but the fact that the protocol more or less seems to just keep yelling "be here" ....well, a simple minded view of DMX/RDM. The fact that there is a standard for a protocol to get some information back from a device you are sending directions is nice but still nearly open loop.

I'm interested in experimenting with running lights in closed-loop with RDM data. (Obviously rate-limited by RDM for now...)

Understand. I think your best bet is calling tech support of various manufactures and asking - not shot gun style but cultivating some networking. Wandering LDI or USITT would be good. The specific request is just a little too esoteric for most of us. Leave a message for lister Steve Terry - you might get lucky.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back