ETC Announces the ColorSource PAR, a low(er) budget LED

Service life of the emitters in the Colorsource PAR is only 20,000 hours, versus 50,000 for Selador Classic and Desire. That's a rather large difference. Probably not just down to the less expensive emitter, but also driving them harder to get the brightness.

Barbizon email that I got forwarded from a buddy states list price at 750$ Which seems super reasonable.

The architectural market has pretty much decided that emitter life has little to do with fixture life. Other elements will go first...

Reactions: Les
Barbizon email that I got forwarded from a buddy states list price at 750$ Which seems super reasonable.
I always figure that the average who has a good relationship with a dealer, picking up a package of half a dozen fixtures, is going to pay around 10%-15% off list. So, that would be around $650-$675. You might get down into the low 600's if you are a really good customer or buy a lot more of them at once. But I doubt anyone's going to be getting them for $500 at this point, maybe in a few more years. I wouldn't call that "super reasonable". To me super reasonable would be in the $400-$500 range. But pricing around $650-$700 is consistent with the other higher quality LED PAR's we've seen announced recently by major manufacturers. But most importantly this one is coming with the ETC logo on it, so you know it's going to last a long time and have iron clad customer service.

Video is up.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting. A lot of hype. Not much real information. If I wanted to sleep with the guy in the video I'd buy one RIGHT NOW. However, he's not my type and he's in WI.

Why did you guys choose to go with a fixed yoke. and not a split yoke?

Can you do manual control at the fixture? or only set colors using the presets/sequences?

We are shipping a few smaller orders now until we get larger sets of parts in to manufacture them, which should be any day.

On the split-yoke, you mean the floor stand type of yoke, correct? We decided to offer an add-on accessory to act this way. This allows us to not burden the majority of users who will likely not use it with an extra piece to deal with. We also can keep the price lower as well.

At this point we are only doing presets and sequences at the fixture. However, you can snapshot dmx into presets from the back as well, if that helps for now.

Let me know if there are more questions.

Thanks!

David

How does the color gamut/range compare to the d60/d40? Aka if you sweep around the outside of the color wheel how different do they look?

How does the color gamut/range compare to the d60/d40? Aka if you sweep around the outside of the color wheel how different do they look?
The color range on a white wall will be good but will lack some of the dark blue, light blue and amber section compared to a Lustr+ or Vivid. The real difference would be on anything you light with color, where the lack of the 7 color system will result in a lower quality rendering of the objects natural colors. That being said, the palette available in the ColorSource PAR is astounding for a 4 color fixture. Not only in richness, but in balance as well. Was that enough marketing speak for you?

Just received delivery to our venue of 12 of these fixtures. They sure are bright and the dimming is very impressive. Not entirely sold on the colour reproduction in terms of the blue scale with deeper colours and they seem a little on the green side but on the other side oranges and yellows are fantastic. Almost wish there was control of the lime processing. But all in all for the sturdy metal and solid build quality as expected they're great for price.

That seems to confirm what J Uphoff said above. Still I think it's cool to hear what you had to say. Does your venue plan on adding more fixtures?

I think that individual control of each of the channels would be cool, similar to using HSI + 7 on a Selador fixture. I'm not a product user though (yet, one of the venues I work with is considering adding some of these fixtures) and so my opinion can't come from real experience.

We've recently purchased as well an amount of lustr2's and some cheap slim pars to fill the order, separate control of the lime chip would make us happier at least about the colour production but the blue chips seem to be more turquoise than standard blue which can be found in the most basic led fixtures.

We've recently purchased as well an amount of lustr2's and some cheap slim pars to fill the order, separate control of the lime chip would make us happier at least about the colour production but the blue chips seem to be more turquoise than standard blue which can be found in the most basic led fixtures.

Out of curiosity, what model of slim pars did you get, and how do they compare to the Colorsource? What are you head to head impressions, and given that there is probably a large price difference, what do you think of each one Bang-for-the-buck?

Also, do I understand correctly that the Lime LED is automatically mixed in by the fixture, with no separate control option?

Out of curiosity, what model of slim pars did you get, and how do they compare to the Colorsource? What are you head to head impressions, and given that there is probably a large price difference, what do you think of each one Bang-for-the-buck?

Also, do I understand correctly that the Lime LED is automatically mixed in by the fixture, with no separate control option?

Yeah, the lime is added by the fixture itself, in the profile it's just RGB. That was a huge mistake on ETC's part IMO. Maybe there are a couple of people who would be ok with it. Must LD's I know would hate that "feature." It's all about having total control of your rig, and this takes part of that control away.

Ironically, a few years ago Steve Terry gave a presentation at USITT, about how the limitations of LEDs are ruining our artistic choices, and Now ETC is selling LEDs that take away the designers artistic control.

Hopefully they will release a firmware update for users that want to have better control. Lime should not be affecting saturated primary colors, it is there to give Higher CRI and better efficiency in producing white, especially at warmer color temperatures.

Martin pulled this same thing with the stage bar, It made them suck for chasing effects, when you can see the source, because you would see the individual LEDs that did not belong in single color effects. But were the colors "better"? That depends on you'r design goals.

Ironically, a few years ago Steve Terry gave a presentation at USITT, about how the limitations of LEDs are ruining our artistic choices, and Now ETC is selling LEDs that take away the designers artistic control.

Hopefully they will release a firmware update for users that want to have better control. Lime should not be affecting saturated primary colors, it is there to give Higher CRI and better efficiency in producing white, especially at warmer color temperatures.

Martin pulled this same thing with the stage bar, It made them suck for chasing effects, when you can see the source, because you would see the individual LEDs that did not belong in single color effects. But were the colors "better"? That depends on you'r design goals.

At least these fixtures are blended behind the lens so seeing the lime mixed into a chase shouldn't be an issue. Maybe because it's their "entry level" fixture they're intentionally taking some of that control away to push designers who want control into their higher end 7 color system?

As a filler to our order we added some chauvet slim par tri leds which for our venue was just so we can have portable colour between the venues I work, but the blue is blue, and the green is green, with the colour sources it seems like the blue is more green than what we'd expected (as opposed to almost being UV blue) and also the green is pretty much lime as opposed to primary colours. Looking at the lenses on the units you can tell what chips are active and the lime seems to sneak in at other times when it should be just a simple rgb colour as opposed to coming in when a selected colour is on the blue and red scale. The colour production is making us seriously consider the purchase.
Mentioning the slim par tri's next to these units is laughable as the dimming is incomparable as we stuck the colour sources on a 30s fade and it was beautiful, the colour sources are brighter than the slim pars but that seems more down to the optics on the front i think as the beamspread is wider on the coloursources with higher intensity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back