ETC CEM+ Question.

Cshoffner

I've searched the fourm for the answer but no luck. So here's my question. I'm working in a venue this weekend with an ETC ion controlling a Sensor+ Rack with a CEM+ Module. The Module has the dimmers firing in "normal" mode but the dimmers are responding as they are in switched. Not sure if the board is forcing this or something with the module.

Little background I am use to Hog consoles but I can get around the ETC boards enough.

Much help appreciated!

The Module has the dimmers firing in "normal" mode but the dimmers are responding as they are in switched.
This is a classic symptom of a mismatch between what the CEM thinks the rack is (balanced, phasing, # of dimmers, etc.), and what type the rack actually is. A quick call to ETC at 1-800-688-4116 while in front of the rack will get you sorted.

I have a similar question about the CEM and its shenanigans. We have 2 sensor racks, and both of the CEMs say "Backup mismatch" all the time... but there seems to be no issue with the control. If I go in and configure a dimmer or something it will say "System OK" for like 15 minutes, then it'll go back to "Backup mismatch". There is no visible problem but I wonder what is really going on.

I have a similar question about the CEM and its shenanigans. We have 2 sensor racks, and both of the CEMs say "Backup mismatch" all the time... but there seems to be no issue with the control. If I go in and configure a dimmer or something it will say "System OK" for like 15 minutes, then it'll go back to "Backup mismatch". There is no visible problem but I wonder what is really going on.

Indeed there will be no visible problem and you are correct in your modules being CEMs and not CEM+s as listed above.

A Backup Mismatch message indicates that what is stored in memory for the Backup Looks between the two control modules does not match. The two modules communicate over ETCLink and one of the many things they share is Backup Look information. The reason this is shared [along with configuration information] is so that if a single module ever goes down, a spare or replacement can be put in the rack and a set of button presses can be followed to retrieve said information from the healthy module into the replacement.

If you are not using Backup Looks, you might wish to go to each module and erase them by pressing [Backup] [3] and then arrow up to Yes and select [Enter]. You can then record what you'd like to have as a Backup if you wish to have them.

If you are using Backup Looks and want to save them, there are transfer steps that can be followed. Call ETC so they can step you through this.

Now I'll be honest. In some CEM 3.x software versions, Backup Looks will report a mismatch and they won't really be mismatched. An easy set of steps is to delete them all as above and then rerecord them. In no cases will a Mismatch cause dimmer or operational problems. In fact, when playing a Backup Look, there likely will be no issue.

Thanks,

David

Great, thank you. I'll rerecord the backups into each module. I'm always paranoid that one of those will go out.

Just record Backup Looks in one of the two modules. ETCLink will take care of the rest and record the looks in both automatically.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back