Etc Expression 3 lost show

Dustincoc

Got a text monday that the lightboard at the school had been wiped somehow over the weekend. Last was used Thursday. Board was purchased right after the expression line was discontinued and has had little maintenance, but functions fine other than a keyboard port issue(don't use it anyway).

I'm suspecting a dead battery. Any ideas? Thanks.

If it dropped part or all of the show after a disk read operation, there is a problem with the show file on the disk. This is rare and there is a possibility that we could fix the file.

If the show file was dropped after a power up, then it might be the battery. Did it also lose settings such as number of dimmers, number of channels, DMX port assignments, etc?

Let me know and I will check into a few things this morning.

David

Ok, so early Expn 3 consoles had two supercaps for memory storage retention, but later in the series, we changed these out to one large coin cell. Likely this is the issue and can easily be replaced. If you are comfortable with this work and have the power cord removed from the console, open the console and remove the screws covering the CPU tray. In the forward left side, you will see the cell.

There is another possible problem, instead of the cell, that you should check before doing the above. The repair guys pointed out an issue that they see come in from time to time, and notably from high schools. Seems like a power down macro that erases the show is a popular trick to include in show files. So do look at your macro list and make sure this hasn't been programmed in.

Let us know how this goes,

David

If it dropped part or all of the show after a disk read operation, there is a problem with the show file on the disk. This is rare and there is a possibility that we could fix the file.

If the show file was dropped after a power up, then it might be the battery. Did it also lose settings such as number of dimmers, number of channels, DMX port assignments, etc?

Let me know and I will check into a few things this morning.

David

I'm not sure what happened. They only use the submasters for regular school events. I closed a show there last month and won't have another there until the fall. I left them with the submasters from the show. I'm just the guy to call if they have issues.

Ok, so early Expn 3 consoles had two supercaps for memory storage retention, but later in the series, we changed these out to one large coin cell. Likely this is the issue and can easily be replaced. If you are comfortable with this work and have the power cord removed from the console, open the console and remove the screws covering the CPU tray. In the forward left side, you will see the cell.

There is another possible problem, instead of the cell, that you should check before doing the above. The repair guys pointed out an issue that they see come in from time to time, and notably from high schools. Seems like a power down macro that erases the show is a popular trick to include in show files. So do look at your macro list and make sure this hasn't been programmed in.

Let us know how this goes,

David

I'm the one who programmed it. I I don't even know how to program a macro since I've never had the need(lighting isn't my dayjob although it is what I went to college for.) They school only uses the submasters for regular school events. I've sent instructions on how to read the showfile from the last show disk I recorded. They'll need to do a few modifications to the subs as It was recorded thsecond day of tech week when we switched to running the show off subs. They already know how to do that. I also gave instructions on how to record the changes to disk.

Prolly got factory restored. If you have a show file disk then just have to load it up and they will be fine. If they don't have a disk looks like they will have to re patch everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back