Control/Dimming ETC Ion Dual Monitor

bestboy

Our high school is doing a production this weekend and this is the first time that I will not be running the board due to I have to train new people. So instead of running the show I have taken over assistant tech director. I'm in a room 10 feet away from our Ion console and I was wondering if there is a way that I can set up a monitor so I can see the cue list.

I tried just plugging in a monitor to the back (with the other console monitors already plugged in) with no luck. I also have Ion offline and i was wondering if there is an easy way to set it up so my computer can be in client mode to see the cue list. I have a mac laptop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I believe you can run the offline editor in mirror mode. I'm sure one of the ETC folks will chime in at some point.

Edit: You'd have to have the console and the computer networked to each other.

I believe you can run the offline editor in mirror mode. I'm sure one of the ETC folks will chime in at some point.

Edit: You'd have to have the console and the computer networked to each other.

I believe you also have to be updated to version 1.8 for mirror mode.

- Install Ion Off-Line on a separate PC. You don't need a dongle for mirror mode. The dongle (should have been provided with the sonsole registration) allows the PC to change the local screen views. Mirror mode simply mirrors the console screen views. Windows lLaptops are ideal for this as they usually have a 2nd video output

- Run the PC in Mirror Mode from a Cat5 cable off the console or e-net switch.

- At that point there are some settings you need to adjust in the Ion shell and if you are not familar with it, I'd call ETC tech support at 800 688 4116 for further instructions.

I tried just plugging in a monitor to the back (with the other console monitors already plugged in) with no luck. I also have Ion offline and i was wondering if there is an easy way to set it up so my computer can be in client mode to see the cue list. I have a mac laptop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Arez and SteveB are correct in their advice. You will need to install the offline/client software on a PC side of your mac (Mac Client coming in 1.9.0) or on a standalone PC. The Ion only allows upto 2 DVI monitors or a single VGA.

The instructions for setting mirror mode are included in the 1.8 Manual Supplement.

As for the network settings, you will need to configure your computer to talk on the lighting network. The best way to do this will depend on how your console connects to your system and what other devices are in your system.

The most common method is to set the console to act as a DHCP server and allow it to give the network addresses to clients and other connected devices. For more information about how to set this, please see page 299 of the Ion Manual.

If you run into issues, please give us a call at 800-688-4116, Mon-Fri 8am-5pm Central Time

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the mirror mode/client PC, PC only? we tried to set this up at my high school on a mac and it didnt work, but my TD found something somewhere that said that it was windows only. I noticed you mentioned that you were running a mac, which would then be a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the mirror mode/client PC, PC only? ...
Reports are that a Mac running Parallels with Windows will work. Version 1.9, due toward the end of March, is supposed to add full Mac native support.

A Mac running a PC emulation program will work as a client. Running the Mac OS native will work as a client in 1.9, which IS scheduled for release this month.

Hope that helps!

Anne Valentino
Eos Product Line Manager
ETC

So what is the whole purpose of running the cue list too you in a different room? Why does someone other than the LX op need to see the cue list?

Sorry if this seems critical, however I'm just trying to understand the whole purpose of this!

Cheers,

James

I think the OP is saying hat he will be overseeing the board op from another room and wants to make sure everything goes correctly. He can periodically check up on the next cue in the stack to verify the board op is in the correct place in the cue list.

Ben,

Press and hold Tab and then your right or left arrow key. It should move the tab to the next screen. This will work for any tab that you have open. By pressing Tab and releasing, you can cycle through all open tabs to find what you need to move to the next screen.

Hans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back