Control/Dimming Etc Ion - Linear Movement & XY Positioning

thomasfedb

Hi all,

Just joined CB, but I've been reading for a while.

The youth threatre company for which I volenteer as the "head tech" has just aquired a ETC Ion, and I have a couple of questions:

1) Can the ETC create linear movement with moving heads (MAC 250), as opposed to the polar movement created by just altering the pan/tilt parameters over the fade time.

2) Can the ETC position the fixtures on a XY grid? I've seen this done and I beleive it works on some strand models, and perhaps the MA?

Thanks very much!
Thomas

Last edited:
Hi all,

"Just joined CB, but I've been reading for a while."

Welcome to CB.

"1) Can the ETC create linear movement with moving heads (MAC 250), as opposed to the polar movement created by just altering the pan/tilt parameters over the fade time."

"2) Can the ETC position the fixtures on a XY grid? I've seen this done and I beleive it works on some strand models, and perhaps the MA?"

Thanks very much!
Thomas

1) I assume you want the fixture to track while on, in a straight line from current position to next ?. As opposed to seeing what you well described as "polar" arc ?. Only way I know to do this is to built it as a series of stepped cues with auto-follows. Otherwise the fixture just interprets the new DMX values the console is sending and moves in the most efficient manner.

2)If you open up the Virtual Control Moving Light Module, you'll see a Pan/Tilt grid. It's essentially a birds-eye view. As you pan & tilt the fixture, the values are expressed in degrees. In theory, you can type in a setting, as example if a ML is Ch 301, I can command line type "301, @, Focus, 90, Enter" and have the Pan & Tilt move to a 90 degree position as seen on the Pan/Tilt grid. Unfortunately I could find no way to type in 2 different values, as "301, @, Focus, 30, Focus, 90, Enter" only uses the first value.

There was a thread about this on the ETC forum a while back - Moving lights with XY positioning, possible on the Ion? - Electronic Theatre Controls

FWIW, the consensus was that Ion won't do this the way Hog and MA does. One of the points made on the ETC forum, was it's generally a very inaccurate method for positioning a ML. Possibly better with a moving mirror, but tough with a moving head. How do you intend to use it as a BTW ?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back