ETC Obsession II - Used for Concert busking?!!

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering, if one had access to an obsession II 750 desk is it possible to use it effectively to control a concert setup (orbital stages etc) including movers and generics?

I basically need the functionality of busking between scenes etc as you would expect. If so would someone care to shed some light?.. can scenes with looping head movements for example be assigned to one of the 48 subfaders? then combined with the heads shutters and colours etc assigned to different faders?

OR is the desk only able to use the GO / STOP function to play through cues?

Any Light on this matter would be much appreciated!!

Kind regards, Will

I am wondering if this is possible by recording "effects" onto submasters, and having these effects as my movements?.....

You can busk whatever you want on whatever console you want. Mrs Footer regularly busks rock shows on an express. However, its not going to be as simple as using a console designed for busking such as a GrandMA/Avo/Hog/Chamsys. You can record effects to subs and that should get you somewhere. You won't have rate control. You can then loop a few different sections of a cue stack and that will get you close. Its not perfect, but it will work.

Thanks for the replies. The problem I'm finding is that I can't seem to record cue stacks onto submasters, only individual cues or "looks" which become quite useless for movers. Also when trying to record effects onto a submaster it seems I can't work out how to record fixture elements, only dimmer channels... Iv been working with the manual extensively but starting to draw a complete blank. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards, Will

Exactly. The Obsession Subs are only that, subs. Not playbacks. You can record effects onto subs for the Obsession, I'm just not familiar with what the syntax would be to load only fixture parameters such as color or beam, though. Effects are loaded into subs via the command line LOAD SUB X EFFECT N ENTER.

Oh, and Footer, you do have rate control over effects running on subs! Like the Express if you are live and type SUB X RATE you can then alter the rate via the scroll wheel or enter it manually. Just be aware, it is automatically recorded!

The Obssesion line is a great console for most anything that you have time to program. What it's not good for is an on the fly sort of show.... you don't have access to the effects generators or cue stacks of a moving light desk as previously stated. I also feel that the fixture library is a bit dated.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back