ETC Sensor + CEM+ Dimmer Rack: Switched vs. Non-Dim Modules

I just had a conversation with the TD where I work and I was looking for some more clarification.

We have some old Gam ColorWiz scrollers that run to a brain that is plugged into a Non-Dim module in our dimmer rack, is there a difference between that setup and one that runs to a regular module that set to the "Switched" property in the rack?

He said that the ColorWiz's and any other intelligent fixture that wants consistent power should be plugged into a Non-Dim module and that if its a regular module set to "Switched", the intelligent fixture will eventually be damaged in some way.

Thanks!

Switched Definition.JPG
I just had a conversation with the TD where I work and I was looking for some more clarification.

We have some old Gam ColorWiz scrollers that run to a brain that is plugged into a Non-Dim module in our dimmer rack, is there a difference between that setup and one that runs to a regular module that set to the "Switched" property in the rack?

He said that the ColorWiz's and any other intelligent fixture that wants consistent power should be plugged into a Non-Dim module and that if its a regular module set to "Switched", the intelligent fixture will eventually be damaged in some way.

Thanks!

Don't believe that to be the case. I've attached the CEM+ page that addresses that. Perhaps somebody at ETC will pop on and correct me.

Thanks!

The TD is essentially correct. All switched mode does is turn off voltage regulation. The device is still a dimmer and you can get a less then clean voltage off the device, thus should not be used for powering devices that have internal computers or electronic power supplies - I.E. scroller power supplies and moving lights.

ETC makes a Constant Circuit Breaker Module as well as a DMX controllable Relay Module, either of which can power such devices.

The TD is essentially correct. All switched mode does is turn off voltage regulation. The device is still a dimmer and you can get a less then clean voltage off the device, thus should not be used for powering devices that have internal computers or electronic power supplies - I.E. scroller power supplies and moving lights.

ETC makes a Constant Circuit Breaker Module as well as a DMX controllable Relay Module, either of which can power such devices.

I defer to Mr. SteveB., we're a little ham-handed in the film business.

To echo what SteveB said, your TD is correct. Switched mode does not bypass the SCR/SSR in the dimmer module, so you still get a switching action even in switched mode. I believe that ETC's own STEVETERRY has posted some scope images of the voltage waveform of a dimmer in various modes and dimmed states and you can see that there is still a blip at 100%. You should always use a relay module or constant power module for devices that have electronic components (moving lights, power supplies, etc.). There are a few devices out there that are listed by the manufacturer as being ok to use on dimmed power.

In the case that you don't have relay or constant modules, using switched mode is better than any other firing mode for these kinds of devices. It is also better than patching the dimmer as a non-dim in the console.

Thanks everyone!

We don't have enough constant modules so we're going to prioritize by most delicate/expensive equipment first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back