Ethan Schlussler's Bicycle Powered Tree House Elevator

imrory

I need to build this ------
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

for the production I am working on this season. Right now I am pretty confused on how/where the cords are attached to the gears to make the pedals move the bike up and down. If anyone knows how to rig this I would be very grateful for the help!

This is going to fall into the 'flying an actor' category, and main advice you're going to hear on this site is to hire the same sorts of companies that do Peter Pan to help you keep your cast safe.

Generally, I'd suggest making a bike that is lifted up and down, and the actor's pedaling is NOT related to the lifting. Or, figure out a way to get the same visual effect without anyone leaving the ground, perhaps a double height drop that you pile into the deck as the actor goes 'up', or a video background or lighting effect.

As stated above, this,as depicted in the vid, is performer flying. The gag as shown is unsuitable for stage use for a number of reasons. As you can see, the "braking" or control of the device is controlled by the performer with no safety mechinisims. As you can see, the rig is counterweighted for a portion of
the performers weight, as it has to be chained to prevent going up on its own
after he climbs off and the unit settles
under his weight before he unhooks to
start.
Reasons for treating this as a performer flying gag with a pro doing the rigging are as follows:
1. Safety. Number one reason and prime directive!!
2. Total control of speed and positioning in both directions of travel.
3. Speed can match the needs of the show rather than the physical conditioning of the actor.

COULD it be done as shown? Yes. Is it a good idea? No!!!

What show is this for???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back