Experience with Philips Ambient LED in the home

UV LEDs inside with those yellow phosphate shell segments.

Aahh, so that's what is going on here! I imagine it's not very much UV at all, other wise it would be fun to take one a part and use as a UV wash. Well, a wash for a very small area... like a desk maybe?

I just experienced the realistic light from those in the OP and would love them at home. But, they're expensive, and I don't think anything uses a 60w A-lamp.

Aahh, so that's what is going on here! I imagine it's not very much UV at all, other wise it would be fun to take one a part and use as a UV wash. Well, a wash for a very small area... like a desk maybe?

There is a video on Youtube somewhere of a guy that disassembled one and laid the chips on his desk. The light does look like a black-light, and the chips on the desk were glowing bright white in reaction to it.

So why does the LED-based phosphor lamp emit higher quality light than fluorescent lamps? Is it than the LED have a different wavelength of UV light that works better with the phosphors than the mercury arc in a fluorescent lamp?

I suspect it may have to do with the fact that the phosphor chosen must be able to resist the vapor arc in the tube as well. Most of the nice looking white LEDs look like they use a phosphor mix that is orange in color. You can see it in the Philips lamp. ah... not sure that would be called a lamp... Maybe an assembly?

In any case, a close look at stand-alone LEDs that are white and look nice and you can see the bowl inside the casing looks orange as well.

I have never seen a CFL with the orange phosphor mix. The concept UV>Phosphor>visible light is the same, so my guess is for some reason in can't be used inside the arc tube.

Most white LEDs convert blue to white, not UV. Some use color mixing (warm/cool or amber/mint) to tweak the color temperature, and some even adjust the color temp to a warmer color when dimmed to more closely immitate a dimmed incandescent.
/mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back