Express 24/48, Cat5 Cable

LightingPenguin

Can the Express 24/48 use cat5 cable to hook up to a DMX universe hub? I'm not at our board right now so I cant see if it has ports

Only a device in Net1 mode. No other devices may be used.... i.e. you can't by a gateway today and put it with the express and have it do anything.

To refine what jmbray has stated, the Express/Expression consoles speak Net1 ONLY. As such the only "nodes" they talk to are nodes/devices that speak Net1, which were the "old" style Net1 Remote Video Interface (RVI) that had dual video, RFU In, Printer and keyboard ports, as well as what was known as a Remote Interface - that added DMX Output.

You can also use a current Net2 RVI running in Net1, with no DMX output.

ALL the ETC nodes that support DMX are Net2 only and as such require either Obsession II or Express/Expression III with Emphasis.

So, No the Express Cat5 port will not support any kind of DMX

Steve B.

...As such the only "nodes" they talk to are nodes/devices that speak Net1...as well as what was known as a Remote Interface - that added DMX Output.

So, No the Express Cat5 port will not support any kind of DMX

Steve B.

In the first paragraph you appear to be saying that there is a NET1 device with remote DMX capabilities, but in the last sentence you state the opposite. Could you please clarify, Steve B.?

Thanks,
-Tim

I believe that you can run net2 nodes in net1 mode and get DMX out of them. You will get no advanced patching or anything like that - just emulation of the DMX ports on the console.

I am pretty sure I am right about this - but not entirely so....

Thanks guys

In the first paragraph you appear to be saying that there is a NET1 device with remote DMX capabilities, but in the last sentence you state the opposite. Could you please clarify, Steve B.?

Thanks,
-Tim

My bad and to clarify (hopefully):

ETC used to make the Net1 Remote Video Interface as well as the Net1 Remote Interface.

Both provided for: Dual Video (if the console supported it), RFU Input, Keyboard Input (if console supported) and printer output.

The "Remote Interface" had a DMX output - ACCORDING TO THE BROCHURE, and I can say that I have never seen one of the RI boxes, and have no clue as to Universe 1 or 2 or whatever, but I remember having to be specific (when talking to a rental shop or ETC Tech Support) as to whether I had an RVI, or RI.

ETC eventually discontinued these Net1 devices when they came out with Net2. The Net2 Remote Video Interface is backwards compatible to Net1 and does not have any DMX inputs/outputs.

jmbray has commented that Net2 nodes with DMX can be set to run in Net1 node. Here's what the ETC Network Config Editor manual has to say, referring to Net2 DMX and Video nodes:

"In Net1 mode, DMX port LED's 1-3 will always be lit green (active output). The fourth DMX port LED will always be off".

This implies that jmbray is correct and that on a Net2 4 port node as built by ETC, running in Net1 mode, you can get outputs for 3 universes, which is the max capacity of the Expression. My memory recall that the 2 port nodes, as built by Pathway are not Net1 backwards compatable. But I could be wrong.

Note also that I believe the Net2 4 port nodes have been discontinued.

Steve B.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that 2 port nodes can be run in Net1 mode as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back