Control/Dimming Express(ion) OLE personalities

xander

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I have a question. It seems like this would be easy, but I can't figure it out. Is there a way to load personalities into the OLE without having them on an actual floppy disk? The only way that I can see to add personalities is to use the {From Disk} softkey. Can I somehow get that "disk" do be a directory on my HDD? I have a a USB floppy, but it is annoying to copy from my HDD to floppy just to load in the program. I am looking for any way short of actually writing the ASCII file by hand ;)

Thanks,
-Tim

Ok, so I am an idiot. But I figured it out before anyone chimed in to point that out! The Show folder in the ETC directory is the "disk" that the OLE loads/saves to. So, by putting the .prs in the show file, I can use the {From Disk} to load the personalities.
I haven't used Express(ion) OLE in quite a while...
:oops:
-Tim

Well, I answered my own question before, but I thought I would ask another question so that this thread isn't just a waste of internet space:rolleyes:

As you can tell, I am playing with an Express in OLE in preparation for an up coming gig. I will be using some IQs and LEDs and some other simple toys. Normally when I use IQs on the Express(ion) I use the Rosco personality on ETCs website, but I don't like it. There is no intensity channel in the fixture. This annoys me, so I have decided to make my own personality (really just edit this one) to include remote dimmer. Bear with me, this is my first time making Express(ion) personalities. What I am finding is that just checking the Remote Dimmer box doesn't really accomplish anything. It allows me to assign a remote dimmer in fixture patch, but it doesn't actually give me control over intensity in the Fixture Box. So, back to the Personality Editor. I add an intensity attribute to the personality and bingo. Now I can control the intensity within the Fixture Box. Just what I wanted. However, I noticed that since I have added an attribute to the personality, it has also added a dimmer to the fixture footprint. I am still using the Remote Dimmer for the actual dimmer for the intensity, but now there is a second dimmer patched to the intensity channel. Why does it do this? Why does it add another dimmer to the fixture if I am clearly using Remote Dimmer for intensity? Am I doing something wrong?

It's not the end of the world, this is an Express we are talking about. I have 1024 dimmers and only 96 channels, so I have dimmers to spare:rolleyes: I was just curious.

Zander,

I have had this same question for a long time. Been making personalities for a long time and always been frustrated by this. Ever find a solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back