Transferring Etc files

Is there a way to take etc files off an ion classic and make them readable on the Neo?

My main method of transfer would be using a USB flash drive. I went in maintainance on the ion and transfered the show file through file manager and clicked 'copy to here'. Upon inserting the USB drive into the Neo the folder is empty. My venue is almost exactly in the middle of a chain of theatre venues that shows typically tour through. All other venues are operating an Ion Classic(my venue included). But my boss and I would like to make the Neo our primary light board with the Ion nearby as a quick secondary. If I could get etc files to transfer sensibly and be readable on the Neo I'd be set for any shows with their own show files or if any other technicians send me their show file for an upcoming event. Personally I really liked playing(training) on the ion but I've become partial to the Neo as its got a couple extra things I admire. Plus the Neo App on the work IPad blows the IRFR classic app out of the water by a long shot. Thanks for any help/insight.

According to the NEO manual if you export a show from your ION as an ASCII file, you should be able to open it on the NEO. I've never done an ASCII transfer but I assume there will have to be some cleaning up to do to the shows between systems.

Also, you shouldn't be comparing the Neo app to the IRFR Classic app. ETC has moved on to the MobileRFR app and it is head and shoulders above the IRFR Classic.

I was unaware that ETC had a newer app. I appreciate you for letting me know as I'll be sure to look into it tomorrow(I'm still new to all the lighting and more than anything I just love learning about this). Also I did happen to get some insight from the Neo Facebook Community. For anybody looking for the resolve for this issue I'll be posting the steps tomorrow once I'm at work.

It's always worth understanding how ASCII files work and what you can expect. The "standard" ASCII file is limited - dimmers only, single cuestack, submasters, groups, etc.

However, manufactures can add "Manufacture Specific Information" into their exported files. This additional information needs to be specifically supported by the console loading the file, otherwise it'll just be ignored and just load the standard feature set listed above. Manufacture Specific Information can include fixture files / definitions (without images such as gobos), multiple cue stacks, referencing palettes, etc.

My experience is that with all this additional information, you end up in a great place compared to starting from scratch, but not at a place where you're "ready to press GO". Especially anything related to effects will need work, as these work so differently on each console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back