Fake Crown XLS 402 Amp?

AlexDavila

Hey ya'll. I'm operating out of a university theatre in KCMO and came across this about a month ago.
In our stock of amps, we've got 2 Crown XLS 402's, except they look nothing alike and feature different printed data on the rear. First, the one that matches the photo on Crown's site:
photo.JPG

And second, the mystery amp:
photo2.JPG

Initially, my mind said "counterfeit!!" but I'm not sure. Google image search returns both, albeit more of the first, and text search isn't giving me much of anything. Could it be that the latter is a first generation of the former? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.

Any ideas as to where I could find a user manual? Thank you, avkid.

Likely has the same or similar guts to the "real" 402. Crown did something similar with their CL series a few years back. The CL1, Cl2, and CL4 were their flagship install amps, and were marked as such. They featured barrier strips for ins and outs and rear mounted volume pots. But the CE series, the CE1000, 2000, and 4000, were the same amp in a different box, marketed to prosumers for portable use. They featured front mounted volume pots and more "tour friendly" features. Both basically the same amp, but I believe the CE series was slightly cheaper.

Both Crown and QSC, and probably some others, sometimes offered tour/MI and install versions of the same amp. At one point they even had tour/MI, install and THX-approved cinema versions of amps that differed only in the input attenuators and the connectors used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back