Fatal Rigging Accident in India

AshleyB

CEO injured and another in critical condition. Happened in India yesterday.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is...not the first time...this has happened in India. Couple years ago there were the bride and groom killed in a remarkably similar style with an aerial lift, pyro, and a construction crane involved. Highly discourage anyone from searching for these, but type "India crane ceremony" into YouTube and you'll find about a dozen videos of different events where these accidents have occurred. It's a very popular trend in their region/culture but it seems the hype and allure of a luxurious, flashy entrance often takes priority over any sense of safety.

Few politicians have previously called for banning cranes from being used in this manner during entertainment events, but I'm not sure the proposed bans ever got any traction.

I was honestly amazed that they're using the same looking "cold spark" boxes that caused the fire and collapse at that wedding.
I know there are obviously safe versions, but might make sense to take a break for a while from using the effect.

I was honestly amazed that they're using the same looking "cold spark" boxes that caused the fire and collapse at that wedding.
I know there are obviously safe versions, but might make sense to take a break for a while from using the effect.
The venue where I am A1 does not permit cold spark devices without a pyro permit, state licensed pyro technician supervising, and 2 FD personnel for fire watch. The cost usually gets that particular effect removed from the show unless there is other pyro in use to justify the permitting and fire watch.

I will defer to forensic engineers to determine the suitability of the materials used, but 6mm lift lines sound kind of 'small' for amount of loading in my guestimate of weights.

It's a sad event when the CEO dies because of some perceived need to make a pop star entrance without the pop star budget and safety factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back