Design Faux marquee lighting

decoss

I've been asked to see if there is a way for us to make our proscenium look like a movie theater marquee with blinking lights that appear to be moving. We are thinking about xmas tree lights (the older, larger ones), but I don't have a clue how to control them.

Is there something I can rent that would do this? We are 9 months out, so I'm strictly in the 'noodling' phase of the problem.

What you are looking for is known as a chase system or chaser lights. there are a ton of ways to do it but all involve using 3, 4, or 5 different circuits of lights that alternatly turned on and off. this can be done via a cue written into a lighting control console, or through a dedicated chase(r) module. Some manufacturers of rope and LED strip lights have cahse contol built in head module. If you are talking about a large marquee with a lot of 20 watt lamps you are going to need a large < wattage capacity > controller or several dimmers tied together. In either case, try the search term chaser and or chase and see what posts you can find on here.

Christmas Lights : Rope Light : LED Christmas Lighting : Novelty Lights Inc sells xmas lights year round at cheap prices. I've used the G9 stringers and bulbs to create marquee chasers several times, just use three sets and three dimmers to allow the console to run a chase loop. There are also some standalone chase units out there, but control might be a bit more complicated, it's best to go through the console if at all possible.

Usually I'm trapping the luan face of a hard flat between the bulb and the socket - it takes a 1" or so hole, and you have to belt-sand about 1/8" off the end of the socket to allow the lamp to screw in far enough make contact. Make sure to take all the usual precautions with the wiring, especially the cut ends of the stringers.

...Is there something I can rent that would do this? We are 9 months out, so I'm strictly in the 'noodling' phase of the problem.
Something from this thread perhaps? http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/11846-chasing-lights.html

Also,
The least expensive solution, I suspect, is to use LED ropelightshttp://www.ropelight.net/mini.htm, and write an effect in your lightboard, can't remember if you've stated what you have. Available in 16' lengths at Lowe's and HomeDepot in many colors, but I can't find them on either website. You could only chase 16' (or less) chunks this way, but might work. Much more expensive option are chasing LED ropelights, chased individually, again via your lightboard.

The only problem with the controller(s) you cited, is not being able to dim the ropelights and having a person backstage turn on/off the chase, also limited to one type of chase, unless it is changed clunkily (just made up that word). A great effect in most musical theatre is to have the lights fade up solid, then for the reprise, chase them. Audiences don't expect that, but I'm disappointed when it doesn't happen!

For one production I had a backdrop of various Broadway Theatre marquees. I also had many strands of old-style ropelights and a 4ch. controller. Some of the strings had one circuit out, others two circuits, etc. I plugged them all in, and outlined each sign with a different "style" and color of broken lights, thus each sign chased differently, all from one controller mounted on the drop's batten. Worked great!

Also, if you're outlining a Proscenium, best to wire so that the two sides chase up the legs and meet at top center, symmetrically. If you only do up one side across the top and down the other side, make sure you can reverse the chase. Using 3 or 4 of your dimmers and a good lighting console opens up endless possibilities. The effects attributes: positive, negative, forward, reverse, alternate, bounce, and build, can all be used to create dazzling effects, with little effort.

Yes, I am a chaser geek, comes from my disco days. Anyone know what a "black ball chase" is?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back