Finger Magnet Implants

Syphilis

I've been hearing a lot recently about a form of body modification wherein a small rare earth magnet, coated in silicone or something similar, is inserted into the tip of a finger, thus giving the implantee a sixth sense of magnetic fields, and specifically of current. Basically, the magnet vibrates, and as it's nested in the nerve rich fingertip a person can get extremely acute feeling from it. From what I've read, it can really change a person's day to day perceptions of the world. As an LD and electrician, I'm thinking this would come in extremely useful. But I'm wondering what controlbooth thinks. Anyone know anybody that's tried this? My only concerns would be infection, and the possible inability to get an MRI.

"Let Go of the Batten, Stupid! We can't fly people here!"

"I CAN'T!"

While it may be useful to some people, there are other more definitive and reliable alternatives to body modification. I wouldn't want to do anything like that to myself. I feel the same way about tattoos and those GIANT gauges.
From below,
You wouldn't be allowed near my light board. Especially the floppy disks. :lol:
:excitable: Good point! I don't want anyone erasing all my stuff!

Last edited:
Not to mention we use very high powered electro magnets. In my office I have a collection of 80# - 300# Magnets. I would hate to accidentally get too close to a 300# magnet!

Not to mention we use very high powered electro magnets. In my office I have a collection of 80# - 300# Magnets. I would hate to accidentally get too close to a 300# magnet!

Say good by to part of your finger and that magnet implant. Not to mention erasing any data on your phone that was magnetically sensitive. And its not a possibility of no MRI if you have an implanted magnet your aren't allowed in the room.

To me this is not applicable to theater, very interesting but would find it more of a hindrance than a help. Standard Multimeter or using a small magnet in a glass cylinder would do the same if not better and allow you to not be magnetized.

Plus, the price is going to be so ridiculously high that any benefit it might provide would be cancelled 100 times over.

I think your only real issue woul be with MRI / PET scans and the 300# magnets. The gause rating required to erase a disc, or have significant impact on a data device is EXTREMELY high. Yes it's a good idea to not leave a magnet sitting on top of a floppy Disc, but you'd have to leave it there for a very long time before it actually caused damage.
I think it's an interesting question, and honestly the strength on the magnets would have to be very high as the flesh would be very sensitive to any movement affected by the magnets. It would make finding the needle in a haystack a lot easier!

Plus, the price is going to be so ridiculously high that any benefit it might provide would be cancelled 100 times over.

Well, it costs less than 100 dollars from some tattoo parlors, which is a hell of a lot less than a tattoo I might otherwise get. Valid points all around, though. Based on my research, I don't believe the magnet is strong enough to cause any damage when in contact with more powerful magnets. I'll keep y'all apprised as to my decision.

I think your only real issue woul be with MRI / PET scans and the 300# magnets. The gause rating required to erase a disc, or have significant impact on a data device is EXTREMELY high. Yes it's a good idea to not leave a magnet sitting on top of a floppy Disc, but you'd have to leave it there for a very long time before it actually caused damage.
I think it's an interesting question, and honestly the strength on the magnets would have to be very high as the flesh would be very sensitive to any movement affected by the magnets. It would make finding the needle in a haystack a lot easier!

It might take a very powerful magnet to erase the show file from a floppy, but how much would it take to alter what was on the floppy enough to be unrecognizable, even if the data was still there. I don't know how picky and express, for example, is on the floppies.

And, would you be willing to risk it?

The entertainment industry is full of all kinds of body mods. If you want to do this one... go for it. I'm not sure it will help you with your job. But if you want to do it... do it.

...As an LD and electrician, I'm thinking this would come in extremely useful. ...
Not as useful (and likely less accurate) than a $10 Volt Tick (tick tracer).

Might this cause issues when passing through a metal detector or TSA screening machine? I can understand those with legitimate surgical implants (pacemakers, titanium pins, etc.) carrying a certificate from a doctor, but will the TSA accept a note from a tattoo artist?

Answer: Metal Implants - ID Cards to Identify Metal Implants for Airport Screening Not Needed .
BodyMod.org Events

Personally, I'm not letting anyone who doesn't have MD after his name cut open any part of my anatomy.

Last edited:
Might this cause issues when passing through a metal detector or TSA screening machine? I can understand those with legitimate surgical implants (pacemakers, titanium pins, etc.) carrying a certificate from a doctor, but will the TSA accept a note from a tattoo artist?

Answer: Metal Implants - ID Cards to Identify Metal Implants for Airport Screening Not Needed .
BodyMod.org Events

Personally, I'm not letting anyone who doesn't have MD after his name cut open any part of my anatomy.

TSA accepting a note from a tattoo artist.....that's funny! LOL!

I think that any issue you may have at the checkpoint will be minor and at most, a slight delay. Not all scanners may pick it up and those that do, you would be asked to do a secondary screen. If you get flagged by the detector, that would be the time to mention the implant. You may still get the secondary screen, but in short you will be on your way. Most TSA are already aware of such implants and are used to looking out for things that are similar.

Many tattoo, piercing, & body modification shops try to have good standards for sterile environments.....however, I agree that I would not be so moved on such a procedure without an MD, if at all. But that's me.

If your looking for extra sensory sensation in your finger, you could try a cheaper method like a hammer.

I would imagine that the implant would be teeny (so that it would not be unnecessarily uncomfortable), and would be thus of relatively low strength. You wouldn't want a magnet in your finger that would be extremely annoying, sticking to things strongly and damaging magnetically sensitive devices/data.

I imagine also if the magnet was sufficiently strong that you'd have difficulty getting small metal particles off of your finger after doing something like cutting or grinding steel. An interesting side effect?

Um, imma go for the price, just get a tattoo. Or a cooler piercing. No point of getting some cool body modification thing to pick up the ladies when you have to say "yeah its in my finger, and all it does it detect magnetic fields". Much better if your gonna be like hey, wanna check out my cool tattoo? Its on my shoulder blade... you get the rest.

Um, imma go for the price, just get a tattoo. Or a cooler piercing. No point of getting some cool body modification thing to pick up the ladies when you have to say "yeah its in my finger, and all it does it detect magnetic fields". Much better if your gonna be like hey, wanna check out my cool tattoo? Its on my shoulder blade... you get the rest.

Me ? I'd rather have 'Peril sensitive Sunglasses' well, just the lens' permanently embedded over my eyes. Now THERE is a useful Body Mod!

This seems like an idea of dubious utility and high risk, no matter how fast it would make you at sorting coins. The peril sensitive glasses, on the other hand...

I'd be less worried about erasing or corrupting data on floppy disks and more about credit cards and other such items. Having worked as a maintenance guy at a motel I've demagnetized those door key cards all the time just by accident. I hold it against the wrong stuff and boom its a clean slate again and I have to go re-imprint it. I'm just thinking about some places that have magnet key cards or Id's with information printed on it.

I'd be less worried about erasing or corrupting data on floppy disks and more about credit cards and other such items. Having worked as a maintenance guy at a motel I've demagnetized those door key cards all the time just by accident. I hold it against the wrong stuff and boom its a clean slate again and I have to go re-imprint it. I'm just thinking about some places that have magnet key cards or Id's with information printed on it.

Another good point. In our school district, they are putting those key card locks on every outside door to the schools. That might be a bad thing if you tried to go to work in the morning and couldn't get in because of the "helpful" finger magnets.

Another good point. In our school district, they are putting those key card locks on every outside door to the schools. That might be a bad thing if you tried to go to work in the morning and couldn't get in because of the "helpful" finger magnets.

That is why they should install NFC locks and just implant a RFiD chip in your hand too....

Just asked my wife ( she is a radiologist and should know). An embedded magnet would definitely be a contradiction for an MRI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back