First Time Rigging

Hello, for our upcoming Easter Productions we are rigging two trusses above the stage for lighting and projection purposes. However, I have never rigged before with hoists. I have ordered a book to learn more about this and have an experienced iron worker that has full confidence in the concepts of rigging, but can you explain some brief methodology to rigging hoists on I beams (may not be any other ways just the way we are doing it.) Any tips, especially safety are welcomed, I have had the iron tested and rated and we have no worries on integrity of the structure. We will be rigging 30' of trussing. Each 30' run will have two hoists, so in total we will have two 30' trusses rigged.

Thanks!

You need to hire someone to come in and show you how to do it. Connecting the truss to the building is the easy part, keeping the truss in the air is the hard part. There are a ton of gotchas when doing this. Where are you getting the truss and motors from? Odds are one of them will be able to help. If not, http://etcp.plasa.org/cert_technicians/search.php

You need to hire someone to come in and show you how to do it. Connecting the truss to the building is the easy part, keeping the truss in the air is the hard part. There are a ton of gotchas when doing this. Where are you getting the truss and motors from? Odds are one of them will be able to help. If not, http://etcp.plasa.org/cert_technicians/search.php

Thanks, we are very tight on budget and a few companies I have talked to want upwards of $1,500 for rigging this for us. We can get all the gear just fine, we aren't going local for the rentals. I am okay for hiring someone to look over it once up, but what are some challenges with keeping it in the air? Such as you cannot power down the motors? Or something else?

Loading the truss. Connecting the truss to the hoists. Trimming the truss. Ensuring the rigging can take the dynamic load. Dealing with cabling. Bolting the truss. Calculating bridles if need be. The list goes on. This is varsity level rigging. Do not do it if you don't have the right people to train you. 1500 bucks is cheap for 4 points and install.

If you don't have the money to do it right, don't do it. Hire a professional rigger, there is a huge difference from iron work and entertainment rigging.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Reactions: len
Rigging and high power distribution have this in common:
The forces at play are completely invisible unless something is going horribly wrong. At that point it is too late.

One thing to think about- are these all conventional fixtures or are there movers mixed in? The reason I ask is a moving load is a whole secondary subject. Two points per truss will not keep the truss from reacting to the moving load.

You've already got one red flag item here: you are small on budget and trying to not spend money to do this correctly. If there is one of these instances already, you have others waiting to happen. You cannot learn rigging in a weekend, or from a book, or from YooToob. Hire theatrical/arena riggers, ditch the ironworker, and do this right or please do not do this at all. A few of us here have been at this for a decade or more, and we still don't know it all. But we're more than happy to point you toward the people that can do this for you correctly.

I completely concur with what everyone else is telling you. Don't do this without an experienced rigger.

Hire a rigger. You can hire one person to supervise you and your crew. You do not necessarily need to hire out the entire job.

The textbooks I have seen that cover rigging are meant for those studying to work in the industry. They will only give you an idea of what is required and how to do it. There are many subtle things that a rigger will do to further insure the safety of those involved. A lot of these skills are learned on the job and require years of experience. Textbooks are available and you can research and purchase them online, but they will not give you the skills and knowledge required to rig on your own for the first time.
Don't be to disappointed by these responses.

Thanks, we are very tight on budget and a few companies I have talked to want upwards of $1,500 for rigging this for us. We can get all the gear just fine, we aren't going local for the rentals. I am okay for hiring someone to look over it once up, but what are some challenges with keeping it in the air? Such as you cannot power down the motors? Or something else?

You're missing the point. The phrase you should remember is "you don't know what you don't know". There are things you need to consider when doing this, that you don't realise need to be considered... but to not consider them would be dangerous.

You should be able to hire a freelance rigger locally for between $300-400 a day. Rigging 2 trusses with motors and tackle is something one rigger may be happy to do alone, mainly depending on access. Certainly, with proper access to the points, I would be happy to say I could rig 2x 30' trusses in one day and have them floating for you. I would be happy to train you in safe use of the motor controller so you can run it up and down during the run to work on the lights; and then charge you the same money to come in at the end of your run and remove it all safely and pack it away properly.

People aren't just being difficult when they say, don't do this without knowing what you're doing. If you can't afford $600-800 to hire a rigger for 2 days, can you really afford the costs of going through the courts when somebody gets hurt? Can you afford the kit which might be damaged if something went wrong? Could you sleep at night, knowing you'd killed somebody because you didn't listen to the advice you were given? Your choice.

What's your location?
(PM me if you don't want to share)
Maybe we can help you find someone.

There's a West Lafayette??? Guess I haven't been everywhere, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back