Flat Transporting Crate or Cart Options

Branway

Hi all,

We have a need to transport 300-400 4x8 Hollywood flats a few times throughout the year. I am trying to find the most cost-efficient and durable option to transport these without banging them up. We have been moving these by hand mainly and stacking. For storing, we want to be able to get three stacks of panels high sitting horizontal due to height requirements. I've looked at bulk stack racks (photo attached) and was leaning toward these. But, we'd rather do some form of a crate.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance!

Building a Crate with internal framework out of 2x4 that supports the flats is easy enough. You can go full out and put a sheet of ply between the flats also which will keep them from touching during transport but that may/may not be necessary.

Take a look at this page: http://caseworkscrating.com/fine-art-crates
picture with description of Hexacomb dividers in crate is what I was thinking of

I've seen these type of crates at museums and travelling art shows to house the artwork. Usually not as big as a 4x8 but I don't see why it couldn't be.
I would spend the money on the exterior as I think that would get the most wear and tear but don't forget about the internals either.

Over at Acme we always used 'Flat carts' basically like a drywall cart bur made from 4x8 ply with a fat 2x5 frame, smart casters at one end, dumb on the other. one of the long sides has a 2x4 'wall' to act as a backstop to lean the flats against. flats were transported on their sides. For EG3 Wall which were 10x3 we built plywood crates in which they stood tall, but could be flipped on their side as well depending on truck size.
I will say that flats tend to transport on their side much more easily and with less damage on their sides.

Can you use a forklift / pallet jack? If so, to be cheap you could stack them on 4x8 pallets, use hogstrough to protect the corners and ratchet strap it all together.

Curious about the use. Haunted house?
The building we are in has standard height double doors, which means we aren't able to use a forklift inside. But, we can use a pallet jack. Once they're out of the building we can stack them using a forklift in our warehouse but I'm worried about the weight on the bottom panels if we stack up to three high with no framing. And yes, this is for a haunted house.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back