Flats and Wagons

I am not a TD but I have to wear the hat of one :-/ and I need help!
I am "designing" our next show (The Matchmaker) which has four acts, each a different set.
My goal was to use modular set pieces that can be moved in various combinations to allow for variety and maximum use of materials; I was was thinking two sided flats attached to 4 x 8 wagons ... or even 2 x 8 to save material costs - is that safe?? I am not sure about the height and wagon size ratios for safety.
I have a professional space - 50' wide proscenium with a 24' depth (main to back traveler).
I am thinking my flats need to be 10' tall (I have use this height in the past for stationary jacked walls and it seems to be a good height for our space).
Please any suggestions, references, ideas etc would be greatly appreciated!!!!
The photo is an example of my space.

Attachments

• IMG_20150327_170504.jpg
    IMG_20150327_170504.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 192
Welcome to CB! I moved your thread so it is posted in the proper forum. There are a lot of great members here who should be able to offer some great suggestions.

~Dave

A 2x8 wagon can work, but you'd probably need to add sandbags or other weight to it to keep it from tipping (assuming the flats are along one edge of the wagon). Since swivel casters need room to swivel, their point of contact with the floor can be several inches in from the edge of the wagon, making it tippier. For a narrow wagon, I tend to use more, smaller casters to reduce the swivel radius.

Personally, I would opt for the 4x8 wagons. I've gone as narrow as 18" in the past, but used a significant amount of weight in the base to keep it upright. I find that the added width also allows for more creative oprions when it comes to stabilizing the flats by building in furniture/cabinetry in lieu of jacks. Unless you're really hurting for offstage storage space, that's what I would do.

It all depends on the look of the unit. It you just want to roll your flats on and off you can build some jacks into the flat and put casters on the jacks (would look like an 'I' in plan view). It tends to look a bit high school if you can see casters/bracing, can you incorporate a brace into the look of the show? Saves you a couple sheets of 3/4" ply and 2x4 that you'd need to build separate wagons. Added benefit of being able to partially "nest" backstage for storage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back