Flip an Umbrella on Cue

MHdesign

I'm the properties designer for a production of The Tempest. The director has requested an actor to hold an umbrella in the opening ship wrecking sequence, to simulate the wind he is requesting that the umbrella be able to flip inside out on cue.

I'm drawing a major blank on the creation of this one. We're performing outside so rigging of any kind isn't an option. Thoughts?

-Matt

High test fishing line attached to a point on the umbrella. Stage hand gives it a good yank and the umbrella either turns inside out or goes flying off stage as if being taken by the wind. Either way is a win.

I wonder if you could rig something spring-loaded that would over drive the slider that opens the umbrella to the point where it would invert. Not sure if the geometry works out, and it would be tricky for sure. But really cool.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

run to 2:06

I think nick is on the right path. This is it happening manually on Marry Poppins is a great example of something you could easily rig up with air small co2 or even a spring loaded sleeve that goes over the shaft of the umbrella depending on how big the budget or time constraint.

Build it with spring wire so the resting position is the finished open position. Pull it back to the normal open position with a quick release. Hit the release and voila.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back