Flying actors with no fly system

Crazy idea here, but what about using a chair/ short step stool instead of the 10' ladder and going for comical with him clinging for dear life 1-2' off the ground? You'd still need a safe place to rig a rope and some competent adult supervision, but that would be a lot safer (especially as you could even get the track coaches involved and use mats for rehearsals), and wouldn't require a flying rig.

There's still whatever that rope he is hanging on is hanging from that you'd have to deal with safely.

It should be noted that one of the main reasons that hiring a company like Foy costs so much, is that they are covered by insurance that protects their company, their clients and the person(s) being flown in case something does go wrong. This is granted upon the basis that the company is a reputable entity, and that its employees are capable riggers either with experience, certifications, education or an acceptable mix of those attributes to prove their competence.

The same goes with their equipment; they don't use hardware from Home Depot, they use stuff that is rated and certified for use in a system where the hardware is a component in making sure someone remains safe and alive. The additional quality control and liability expenses on their end increases the cost of their products.

I appreciate the apologies and I would like to apologize my shelf. When I look back at the first post it dose seem like I was planning on doing it in-house. Next time I will put more info in my profile and in the first post. Now that we are on the same page I’m looking forward to hearing from all of you.

This could be done with one of the above mentioned flying companies. Another option- DEPENDING ON INSURANCE, SKILL LEVEL, BUDGET, AND TRAINING- is to hire a stunt professional. A stunt coordinator can, in most cases, make what you're asking about happen. The caveat here is that stunt performers aren't necessarily good riggers, and good riggers aren't necessarily stunt performers. My team is made up of both, and we stick to our specialties, but we know where/when/how the 2 sides come together.

PM me if you'd like to know more, I can go on for days. I'm also in SoCal.

Oh, and don't say "blue sky", man. It's not 1990 anymore. Whomever introduced you to that term owes you an apology. :mrgreen:

Oh, and don't say "blue sky", man. It's not 1990 anymore. Whomever introduced you to that term owes you an apology. :mrgreen:

Sadly, "Blue Sky" is a term still used to liberally in my industry. I feel sometimes the Power industry is progressing backwards through the 1980s instead of forward towards 2020!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back