The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Flying in and out

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by Graham Darnell, Jan 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Graham Darnell

Graham Darnell Member

At my high school we are wanting to do The Wizard of OZ and want to fly in and out Dorthy in the hot air ballon and Glenda the good in her bubble.

We have a manual fly system with about 16 batons (including draps) with our four electrics on their own electronic fly system.

Just wonder how we might weight them so that we can fly the hot air balloon and the “bubble” with people on it and off it.

2. Crisp image

Crisp image Well-Known Member

Umm you don't...... Do Not fly people unless you are qualified and insured to do so. Also it takes special additional equipment to fly people.
    Sorry for the bad news.
    Regards
    Geoff

3. Graham Darnell

Graham Darnell Member

Thanks
    I didn’t think it was a real possibility, I posted about it more so to see what I’d get back if anything

venuetech and RonHebbard like this.
  4. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    And the manufacturers of the manual counterweight gear all say it's not for performer flying. Just say no.

macsound, TimMc and RonHebbard like this.
  5. venuetech

venuetech Well-Known Member

aud man out
    to list a few of the qualified flying effects companies
    ZFX
    Flying by FOY
    Hall and Associates
    D2 flying effects

There may well be others.
    These folks work with high school productions and others.
    All of these companies will be familiar with the show and will likely have a base effects package to get it safely staged. I know one can fly the bike and has a very nice optional tornado effect.
    Working with any of these is very educational for all involved in the process.

So flying is in fact possible and worthwhile, you just need to put safety at the top of the list. Or I should say Keep Safety at the top of the list. (As safety should always be the first concern)
    (For links and much more information click on the yellow underline term flying effects)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  6. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

Foy has stock balloon and Glinda flying effects. If your director is serious about flying students I would contact them to get a quote and then find a sponsor in your community to cover the costs associated with doing it.

7. What Rigger?

What Rigger? I'm so fly....I Neverland.

Polishing the brass on the Titanic.
    Just so everybody knows, Hall Associates Flying Effects (no "and") has rebranded as Vertigo Flying Effects.
    www.getvertigo.com

8. Ancient Engineer

Ancient Engineer Active Member

I have direct experience with the Vertigo folks. Top shelf aerial effects. I give them the highest marks for safety.

9. macsound

macsound Well-Known Member

I've worked with ZFX and they definitely have price ranges and are totally affordable depending on needs.

This is theatre though and it's all about creativity in your own space.
    You could make a fake flying effect, especially for the hot air balloon and Glinda's bubble.
    Have a set of stairs with a sliding panel in front of them with a notch that slides from the low to high end of the staircase to reveal the stairs that the actors are standing on, then choreograph the balloon and bubble to move on the same trajectory as the actors climbing the stairs that are blocked by the sliding panel.

RickR likes this.