Flying in Shure 55sh

Hey Everyone,

I'm doing a show about boxing and we have a shure 55sh that wants to fly in from a pulley system on a line set for the main announcer. I was thinking of using the xlr as the cable to fly it in and out, but I was wondering if there's something to provide strain relief on the connection. It as the typical mic stand threading, and I'm not sure if there's something to attach to that to get the tension off. Any help would be great!

It would probably be fine with just the XLR, assuming you double checked that it was latched (1/2kg metal mic falling from wherever would definitely hurt) and didn't use cheap cable.

However, I would hang it off a piece of monofilament/metal cable/anything more appropriate than mic cable, and only rely on the signal cable itself as a backup.

If you have an old and/or broken mic stand lying around, you could cut it an inch or so down from where it screws into the mic. Screw the piece into the Shure, drill a hole through it, and run the aircraft cable through. Not elegant, but it probably would work.

Get one of these:
31WCg-PkPPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Amazon.com: On Stage MA200 5/8-Inch Male to 3/8-Inch Female Mic Screw Adapter: Musical Instruments

And attach one of these to it:

Amazon.com: 3/8" Stainless Steel Turned Eye Bolts - Choose 3" to 12" Length - Grade 316 SS: Sports & Outdoors

Whole rig will cost you 10 bucks. Those retro style mics actually weigh a pretty decent amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like a good idea, using the eyebolt to hang it. I think I'll go that route. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back