Focusing Hot Units

photoatdv

I've had an idea bouncing around in the back of my head for a while of getting/making teflon (kevlar, something) sleeves to wear while focusing. (This idea of course got bumped up a little on my pet projects list after having my arm meet a rather hot light the other day!) I've seen black heat resistant fabrics (I think Rosebrand makes something) and was thinking about making a sleeve like the ones glassblowers wear out of that and possibly some cotton insulation. Not only would it held prevent burns, but make focusing easier in difficult-to-access units by being able to touch the light with your arm.

Has anyone done this? Sound like a good/bad idea?

Well I could go dig out my old Asbestos gloves, used to be very popular! ;)

Actually, there is a product called the "Oven Mitt" (As seen on TV!) which I have always thought would be pretty good. No use inventing something new when there are so many chefs out there burning their hands and inventing ways not to!

You may find what you want in some full length grilling gloves, they are a little bulky depending on the cut and material, but they do keep off the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Lisle" tools makes a heat resistant sleeve for the auto machanic that would work well for this. Sold at most auto parts stores

Well I could go dig out my old Asbestos gloves, used to be very popular! ;)

Actually, there is a product called the "Oven Mitt" (As seen on TV!) which I have always thought would be pretty good. No use inventing something new when there are so many chefs out there burning their hands and inventing ways not to!

I have one called the Ove-Glove. It works really well too. I never thought of using it to focus lights though. Great idea!

I think it's made of Kevlar. That's what the packaging says anyway.

Well I've never used anything to focus hot lights
and I don't have any fingerprints either . . .

Why not just go full Heat/Flame resistant?

proxy.php

I have one called the Ove-Glove. It works really well too. I never thought of using it to focus lights though. Great idea!

At my school we have a supply of Ove-Gloves we use when focusing anything hot.
They provide great protection, and the rubber grips on them provide a good grip. These are my recommendation for a glove, but having one that covers the arm would be convenient for any crowded or difficult to reach spots.

Well I've never used anything to focus hot lights
and I don't have any fingerprints either . . .

I've learned my lesson about not using the gloves. I got a little lazy on using them during a hang back in March. I'm still missing the print on one finger from that!

Last edited:
I have generally found that proper handling of the fixture allows me to focus it without a need for gloves (but I do own a pair of hot hands from Setware). With Source 4 ellipses the handles on the back make great handholds, as does the gel frame clip. Also the yoke near the clamp seems to not get nearly as hot. For 360Qs without those areas, I place my fingers on the cable sleeve right where it exits the strain relief and use that as a gentle method to adjust tilt. Granted, the T-handles are hot, but altman makes a wrench for those if you need it.

When I was running followspot at Disney we would use a damp hand towel behind the dimmer knob of the Super Troupers to rest the forearm on. By the end of the concert the towel would be dry and just starting to warm up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back