Followspot Suggestions?

Chris Chapman

I'm evaluating whether or not to replace our current followspots. We're running 2 Lycian SuperArc 400 (standard throw) 1266's. They run off of 400W HTI lamps and never have the right oomph to cut through a wash. From our booth, the direct through to the pit is 90'. and upstage is 140'.

Any good recommendations on followspots that can cut through a wash at that distance? The SuperArc 1266 is more of a club spot, and is not ideal (IMHO) at this throw distance. Roadshows strongly dislike my spots, and they are 17 years old.

Lycian makes a long throw version (1267) which looks like it has a different optics kit on it. Retrofit vs. replace?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
At that kind of throw distance, I just don't think a 400 watt lamp is going to cut it. At that kind of distance, I usually recommend the 1275s. They're a lot more oomph than what you have, but they would definitely cut through whatever you were using.

I'd agree. That distance sounds a bit much for that particular model. You definitely don't want to retrofit the fixture as the cooling was designed around that lamp and optical system. If you put something else in there you may have focus/cooling issues among others. I would give the folks at Lycian a call, and get their input for that distance and what you are using it for. Drop Steve Lerman a line-- [email protected] and I'm sure he'll help you out.

You definitely don't want to retrofit the fixture as ...
Pretty sure the OP was talking about "retrofitting" the 1266 with the 1267 lens(es), which seems perfectly reasonable. I'd guess the cost would be upwards of $1000, but that's better than $6K+ for a new, more appropriate unit. I'd see if Lycian could help with the demo of a 1267 in your space, likely easier than ordering the parts and trying to return them should they fail to impress.

A different option: Could you perhaps move the 1266s to an FOH Catwalk position? They make great truss spots.

Pretty sure the OP was talking about "retrofitting" the 1266 with the 1267 lens(es), which seems perfectly reasonable. I'd guess the cost would be upwards of $1000, but that's better than $6K+ for a new, more appropriate unit. I'd see if Lycian could help with the demo of a 1267 in your space, likely easier than ordering the parts and trying to return them should they fail to impress.

A different option: Could you perhaps move the 1266s to an FOH Catwalk position? They make great truss spots.
Derek is right on the money. I already sent Steve at Lycian an email as well. It looks like the specs on the 2 different Lycian models is just optics, but I'm unsure whether just an optics kit would give me the kick I need. I'm looking at 2 lights, so to replace both would kick the total cost north of $12K, which I would much rather spend on LED's.

but I'm unsure whether just an optics kit would give me the kick I need.
Well, that's the tricky part, especially with this particular model. Since the iris and zoom are intrinsically related (intensity increases as diameter decreases) the only way to tell is to demo this particular light in your space. Does a full-body iris have enough brightness?

With other fixtures one can make an educated guess by comparing photometrics and foot-candles. Not so easy when the light is always changing intensity depending in iris setting.

Yeah, the upgrade for your fixture is the long throw lens. I've used that model in facilities and while it works...
No one wants to spend money on followspots but at your throw and having to please touring companies, you will have to pony up for new fixtures or just sub-rent. You are right in the perfect Medium Throw zoom range, which means you have a WIDE variety of fixture options at your disposal. Please choose wisely. Everyone wants a followspot to last 20 years and only wants to pay $1000.00 each (a bit snarky but not wholey untrue). Consider that while you will not be doing anything to upgrade the output of your followspot for the next 10+ years, you will be buying newer and brighter fixtures for your stage, and companies will be bringing in newer and brighter fixtures with their shows. My suggestion is to spend a bit more on a fixture that is a bit brighter than you need right now. The 1200w fixtures are where you should be starting to look, at the moment, but you can also go a bit bigger if need be to sort of future proof your rig.
And if you have an upstage position, you should keep your 1266's as portable back/truss lights. If there isn't anything wrong with them...

And if you have an upstage position, you should keep your 1266's as portable back/truss lights. If there isn't anything wrong with them...

That's the plan if we go with new fixtures. My facility is starting to stare down a 20 year instrumentation upgrade. We've been slowly adding LED's, but we have a ton of conventional gear that is creeping up on lifetimes. Working on a swap out/upgrade funding strategy. Follow spots are near the front of that line.

In the middle of the upgrade/retrofit of our rig. Follow spots were pretty high up on our list as well. (directly under "build follow spot positions) We went with the Strong Canto 1200s. I am in love and would not recommend anything else to anybody. But they are on the higher side of the price spectrum. We rented them for a few gigs before we decided it was worth the investment.

I have your exact same throw and love our 1275s. They are brighter then they need to be for most stuff but the power is there when you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back