For those who have done "CATS"

mvp1114

We are most likely doing "Cats" next spring. Of course, we need to lift the Kitty up to heaven on the tire

Research has shown me that a scissors lift built into the stage set is the best/really only way to do the lift (I'm not really going to do the stairs that meet the tire as "operable" - just a visual).

I've got a local big-name crane & lift company willing to install, train, and set up the lockout/tagout on the lift. Here's my remaining problem:

I'm putting together the proposal for our Risk Management people. Could any of you who HAVE done "Cats" with a scissors-lift drop me a reply stating that you used a scissors lift for this purpose with your theatre group - I'd like to offer the RM folks examples of other groups' usage to show it's "normal." A photo could be great too.

Thanks!

Mike

On the broadway version and tour its done with both the sciscor lift and a Foy rig that takes her into the sky.

proxy.php

Also, you really should never present anything to a risk management team with "Well, that is how they have done it before". No one here should go along with that either, even if they did it with the scissor lift. What you need to look at is why you need the effect and what safety steps you will take to get rid of all/most risk. Just because someone else did it does not make it safe.

Sorry... It can totally be done safely you just need to look at the safety systems yourself.

If it is set up to go vertically instead of moving out at an angle like it is done professionally there is really no danger involved. The professional version weighs a ton and requires hoist to put it in place.

The problem with either scissor or boom lift is bulk. Hiding a large piece of equipment on stage is tough. Building it from scratch is expensive and has a steep knowledge curve. My suggestion is a car display lift, it has a low profile, will lift the weight, is all hydralic so it is quiet and should be readily available. It also eliminates the need for lift certs and depending on weight, may be able to roll forward to simulate the arm reach of the original show.

Thanks for the replies. I completely agree we have to do the safety estimate for our venue and company. I have a professional crane/lift company coming in to do the install of the scissors lift, do the training, and install a lockout/tagout so the kids in the show can't ever play with it. Only two adults will be authorized to run it (me, and one other teacher).

Our stage is a fairly old one, and the rigging was designed for cloth drops only. I doubt our grid would take a Foy rig, and I don't want us to get into flying anyway. There will be a "flat" staircase that comes down to meet the tire, but the scene will end with the kitty still in the tire.

We're laying down a 2-layer deck of 3/4" plywood to spread the load, then building the set around the scissors lift with it at the focal point of the set (I don't even want to think about moving the rig downstage). The "tire" will be up two levels from the main stage deck (48") with access stairs coming up to the sides (the safety railings are staying in place and disguised by the "tire"). We're also bolting down the outriggers under the main set and looking at running the rig from an inverter instead of the batteries (that will be a part of the safety/training officer from the crane company's evaluation and their tech's modifications).

Thanks for the inputs, all!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back