Forced fog/ confetti setup

firewater88

Question for everyone:

(from a rented set) We have a rolling "stage" that dancers will be on for a scene in an upcoming show. There is already 2 air tank systems with tubes in the steps and out the top (respectively separate). The tanks are pre-filled with about 80 psi and a solenoid opens the valve and shoots the air out the tubes. I believe the system was designed for confetti. Now, I tested the system with small strips of mylar in the tubes and once triggered the stuff only went about 3 feet in the air. not exactly the look I am after.
Now without going to co2 or like there of, can I force fog out those tubes with some modification to the setup?
Or, any recommendations on how to get the confetti to blast higher? do I need to put some type of packing cap on top?
The look needed is almost instantaneous and lasts maybe 2 seconds as the dancers are walking down the steps.

Thanks

Last edited:
Also, if it is a rented set, you probably don't want to be modifying it in any way as it may incur additional charges or penalties on your rental. Other than that, I concur with the above statements.

Pack more confetti into it! Our barrels are 24", we do not use backpressure caps, pack the confetti into the cannon to about an inch to the end of the barrel, which is typically 1lb of confetti. The confetti will form a "backpressure cap" of its own. Depending on the show, we will typically use a lifting cup on the end. Keep in mind for a smaller theater this cap will fly with the confetti (wont hurt anything), Lifting cups can get expensive especially if you are shooting a lot of confetti. A trick we use is to take a piece of paper towel (usually from the bathroom) and tape it around the barrel, no tape over the top, just around the sides to hold it in place like the lifting cup. we paint the papertowel black to give a better apperance, but it works just as well and is cheap. We fill our tanks to 90-95 psi Good luck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back