Which moving headlight to buy for my fireworks displays

joeyz

Hi Team,

Discovered this forum and seems to be pretty cool and need some help with light effects.

INTRO: My name is Joe. I'm a federal and state certified and licensed pyrotechnics engineer that lives in Fort Hood, Texas that does firework and special effects displays all over Texas, for any event, too include 6 flags and Sea World. I'm pretty bored with doing the same old firework shows and advanced into firework pyromusicals. I use computer system and software scripts to do my pyromusicals, sending 3,4,5,6,8 and 10" mortar shells into the Texas night sky according to cue triggers wave spectrums of music. the only thing im missing is some moving beam headlights to complete my pyromusical show package to really capture the crowds, especially the children as ground and aerial effects.

To start this new setup... would like to setup 2 moving headlight on 2' x 2' plywood forward 25' forward of my mortars, next to my AUDIO system speakers at 50' apart on the ground. I would like to use the lights to randomly dance across the sky (search light effect) when it gets dark to signal the cars and audience the location of the fireworks as people drive into the park and start gathering in the fields.

Since all this is new to me, know nothing about headlights, i want to get one to try and test. I realize that one doesnt do much but helps me figure out setup, power source, cable gauge and power comsumption. The city can provide the power and if not, i figure a harbor freight generator can work.

MOVING HEAD LIGHTS: as starter, i tried the chavez moving light from guitar center and boy was that a waste of time and I returned it, not enough power. After reasearching some youtube videos on it appears 7R head lights is probably what I need to shoot a narrow spot light beam at least 500' into the sky (without any smoke assistance). I found some SHARPY 7R on amazon for $800. But then i found 10R for $900. I also see LED ones too. Now im totally confused on the differences of 5r,7r,10r and LED. I dont know what to do or get, i'm an explosives expert, not a light guru. All i know is that i want some sky search lights to shoot across the sky with colors and program a variety of motions and colour patterns to go with my fireworks. i figured i have one of my guys sit next to me with some kind of light effect bmx controller (preferrably wireless) to control the lights while i control the fireworks. I need some help and expertise and dont care if the moving heads are new or used. If someone can help me with this that would be awesome. Can reply here, or my email [email protected] or call 254-289-4791. I have a Star Wars pyromusical coming up in September to do. if you are interested in joining forces, want to join me with show lighting we could that too. i could sure use the training.

thanks!

-joe

Last edited:
I think i need something like these lights.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi,

combining lights and fireworks can be a challenging endeavor. In my experience, lights work best for shows where you are relatively close to the audience, using only ground fireworks, cakes, roman candles, mines, single shots and small shells up to 3". A good usage for lights are shows which tell a story; here you can use the lights during the narration passages of the show, eventually in combination with fountains, bengal flares, and bundles of small roman candles. As soon ass you start firing shells ore even cakes with some level of intensity, your lights will be dominated by the fireworks. An other good usage for lights are firework displays that are shot from a castle or some other historic site. But you will have to let room for the lights in your show design, so you need passages where the fireworks are low intensity, so that the lights can shine (pun intended).

From your description, it seems that you are doing mainly an aerial show relying on big shells and with large distances to the audience. In this context, only big skybeamers work well. Unfortunately, these are really expensive, and you will need quite a few of them to make it look good.

Besides that, here are some practical considerations.

• I would not install expensive moving lights only 25' away from a big mortar position. The risk of damaging the lights by a barrel burst, a muzzle break or even by fallout is way to high.
  • As a pyrotechnic company, I would not invest in buying moving lights, but I would rent them when needed. You will probably only need them for a few days a year; the rest of the time, they would only be standing around taking up space. Additionally, when renting, you can always rent the fixtures that are best suited for that particular show.
  • Eventually, a partnership with an event/lighting company could be interesting. They would have the equipment and the know how, and it takes the task of setting up the lighting away from the shoulders of your guys.
  • However, I have had bad experiences with letting other people do the lighting design. Fireworks choreography's are hard to communicate to non pyrotechnicians unless you invest a huge amount of time in a computer simulation. So, often, its best that the same person who choreographs the fireworks will also do the lighting design.

Hi,

combining lights and fireworks can be a challenging endeavor. In my experience, lights work best for shows where you are relatively close to the audience, using only ground fireworks, cakes, roman candles, mines, single shots and small shells up to 3". A good usage for lights are shows which tell a story; here you can use the lights during the narration passages of the show, eventually in combination with fountains, bengal flares, and bundles of small roman candles. As soon ass you start firing shells ore even cakes with some level of intensity, your lights will be dominated by the fireworks. An other good usage for lights are firework displays that are shot from a castle or some other historic site. But you will have to let room for the lights in your show design, so you need passages where the fireworks are low intensity, so that the lights can shine (pun intended).

From your description, it seems that you are doing mainly an aerial show relying on big shells and with large distances to the audience. In this context, only big skybeamers work well. Unfortunately, these are really expensive, and you will need quite a few of them to make it look good.

Besides that, here are some practical considerations.

• I would not install expensive moving lights only 25' away from a big mortar position. The risk of damaging the lights by a barrel burst, a muzzle break or even by fallout is way to high.
  • As a pyrotechnic company, I would not invest in buying moving lights, but I would rent them when needed. You will probably only need them for a few days a year; the rest of the time, they would only be standing around taking up space. Additionally, when renting, you can always rent the fixtures that are best suited for that particular show.
  • Eventually, a partnership with an event/lighting company could be interesting. They would have the equipment and the know how, and it takes the task of setting up the lighting away from the shoulders of your guys.
  • However, I have had bad experiences with letting other people do the lighting design. Fireworks choreography's are hard to communicate to non pyrotechnicians unless you invest a huge amount of time in a computer simulation. So, often, its best that the same person who choreographs the fireworks will also do the lighting design.

Thanks so much for the valuable information and insight. I didnt want to get too long in my post and things you said hit my same thoughts on the head. I watch a lot of pyro musicals on youtube and lighting can be a challenge. My plans are exactly what you said, closer to audience. My displays are setup in rows/layers. My speakers are first row 100' from first row audience, then next row 50' ground effects, then 3" shell racks etc. as my shells get larger, so does the distance. My 10" shells are way far away, practically other side of field. I hear what your saying about smoke but my shows dont produce as much smoke as some other people shows because i use products to minimize shows and i cut off all ematches down to 4" above the shell. Ematch leaders produce a lot of smoke, sparks, fires and trash the area.

I like your post and is why i only want to get 1 moving head to test and experiment with for around $1,000. If it doesnt work out then its not a significant loss, low risk.

Im just having trouble in choosing one to satisfy the need. There are LED, laser, R type moving heads. Im thinking a 7r or 10r might be the cheapest to buy and test. Idk

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi Team,

Discovered this forum and seems to be pretty cool and need some help with light effects.

INTRO: My name is Joe. I'm a federal and state certified and licensed pyrotechnics engineer that lives in Fort Hood, Texas that does firework and special effects displays all over Texas, for any event, too include 6 flags and Sea World. I'm pretty bored with doing the same old firework shows and advanced into firework pyromusicals. I use computer system and software scripts to do my pyromusicals, sending 3,4,5,6,8 and 10" mortar shells into the Texas night sky according to cue triggers wave spectrums of music. the only thing im missing is some moving beam headlights to complete my pyromusical show package to really capture the crowds, especially the children as ground and aerial effects.

To start this new setup... would like to setup 2 moving headlight on 2' x 2' plywood forward 25' forward of my mortars, next to my AUDIO system speakers at 50' apart on the ground. I would like to use the lights to randomly dance across the sky (search light effect) when it gets dark to signal the cars and audience the location of the fireworks as people drive into the park and start gathering in the fields.

Since all this is new to me, know nothing about headlights, i want to get one to try and test. I realize that one doesnt do much but helps me figure out setup, power source, cable gauge and power comsumption. The city can provide the power and if not, i figure a harbor freight generator can work.

MOVING HEAD LIGHTS: as starter, i tried the chavez moving light from guitar center and boy was that a waste of time and I returned it, not enough power. After reasearching some youtube videos on it appears 7R head lights is probably what I need to shoot a narrow spot light beam at least 500' into the sky (without any smoke assistance). I found some SHARPY 7R on amazon for $800. But then i found 10R for $900. I also see LED ones too. Now im totally confused on the differences of 5r,7r,10r and LED. I dont know what to do or get, i'm an explosives expert, not a light guru. All i know is that i want some sky search lights to shoot across the sky with colors and program a variety of motions and colour patterns to go with my fireworks. i figured i have one of my guys sit next to me with some kind of light effect bmx controller (preferrably wireless) to control the lights while i control the fireworks. I need some help and expertise and dont care if the moving heads are new or used. If someone can help me with this that would be awesome. Can reply here, or my email [email protected] or call 254-289-4791. I have a Star Wars pyromusical coming up in September to do. if you are interested in joining forces, want to join me with show lighting we could that too. i could sure use the training.

thanks!

-joe

Last edited:
More than just a starwars theme. stawars comes later comes in the second half of the show. The first part of the show has never been done before "HOW THE UNIVERSE WAS MADE". Very educational like the TV show on Discovery Channel documentary. narration... opening the audience to look into the texas sky at the universe, then explaining it started with an atom 13.7 billion years ago (shoot a twinkle firework in the sky), then it happened, big bang (firing off 10" willow with twinkle strobes to represent stars were made, then stepping into narration of the elements were needed to form galaxies and planets, then firing off more shells to simulate stars going super nova that produced those elements to create/form galaxies, planets, life and fireworks. then firing off a 8" shell while explaining the demo in contrast to a single super nova it produced the carbon, sulfur, nitrates, barium, titanium, copper, gold etc along with other all the elements. the audience will see and and learn that a firework they are watching is the same as a star going super nova, blowing the chemical elements across the sky as the super novas did in the universe and closing of how we got here today. then fire a high slow falling horse tail or water fall, shine the moving headlight spot light into that sector and step into the starwars theme....once long ago, in a far away galaxy, etc, etc,....step into the starwars main theme and go from there with second half of show.

My plan is to blow the crowd away, 1st part enchanting educational, science, astronomy and how fireworks ties in to the elements of the universe and how fireworks are related and simulate the universe distribution of elements that formed everything and how we are repeating it tonights display. the 2nd part is to enchant the crowd with future and galactic entertainment.

image.jpg

image.jpg

in the above table, as a pyro hobbyist and display show guy, i have used at least 25 of those elements from the universe to create those special effects. lol

my plan now is to create a display that teaches the audience in a 5 minute seminar and use the wide open sky as my briefing screen. i know all this sounds crazy but i am very creative and want to blow away the audience with something never done before, all the elements and the universe is right there before our very eyes in the night sky. i am also going to use single variety of shells to call off different planets, starting with the sun and working my way to the furthest planet, explaining briefly something about the planet.

- joe

Off topic, but do you happen to know @Les who is also in Texas?

No, sorry. :)

Ah, a competitor! ;)

We have a few moving heads and also work extensively with lasers, but we haven't combined them (the lights) with outdoor shows. Generally for us it would just be too much of a headache and clients could get a better value by combining our services with those from Gemini, Onstage, Alford, etc. The concern about caustic fallout would be a real concern, especially for 1.3g. As we know, that stuff eats electronics and moving lights being too close wouldn't survive long. Of course, having the fixtures closer to the audience perimeter would be a valid workaround.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back