Freelance Contracts

FlyingPig

Just curious about the wonderful world of getting screwed out of money.

What's the general consensus when it comes to contracts?
Do most freelance designers have a contract that they carry around and adapt for each productions? Or do most just get the contract from the theatre or production company and alter and argue the fine print?

How do you go about making a contract.

If anyone has a sample contract (or rider) that they can post or refer to I'd appreciate it greatly. I did a search online for sample contracts but it seems that theatrical design contracts are few and far between.

Well, yes I know that if I were to create my own contract it'd be wise to get it checked by a lawyer, but what about the questions I was asking? Am I completely off track here? Or is everyone just a member of USA and already have contracts made for them?

Just looking for a little friendly advice!

I'm an SM not an LD, and thus my contracts are a little different, however, I can email you a copy of a recent non-Equity contract for you to look at if you like. PM me you email address.

I don't have a stock contract, companies I work for send me one of there's to sign. Usually things like pay, per diem, expenses are discussed after I accept the offer. At which point I'll be emailed a copy of the proposed contract. If it is acceptable (always read your contracts!), then I'll be sent a hardcopy to sign and return.

No law degree required.

I could be totally wrong, but I think in general, the employer draws up the contract for the employee. If you were union then there are certain minimums that have to be met. I don't think that it is wrong to have basic things to ask for when negotiating a contract, but you don't want to burn any bridges when you are starting out. The biggest thing you need to do is just take as many gigs as you can handle (and execute well) and get your name out there.

Yup, the only time I make a contract is when the theater doesn't provide one.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back