Full-Time Production Foreman needed, $32,494 -$45,896

tdtastic

Shelton State Community College, located in Tuscaloosa Alabama, is the southeast's community college of the fine arts. Seeking production foreman to support all college events and productions as well as a full season with Theatre Tuscaloosa, its resident theatre company and one of the largest community theatres in the southeast. This is a full-time, year-round position with great state benefits.

theatretusc.com
sheltonstate.edu

POSITION: PRODUCTION FOREMAN

DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: The Production Foreman will assist in all aspects of productions at Shelton State Community College, particularly with performance spaces related to theatrical and college event scenery, props, sound, lighting, and maintenance of studio and other technical production needs.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum of High School diploma or GED required. Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in carpentry, metal work/welding, construction, and rigging required. Working knowledge of computerized lighting systems and sound equipment required. Working knowledge of drafting standards and ability to read/comprehend construction drawings required. Demonstrated effective written communication skills required. Available to work some nights and weekends required. Able to perform necessary physical tasks of the job: lift 50 lbs. repeatedly, climb ladders, use stairways to access grids and catwalks required. Must be comfortable working in a electric personnel left at heights of up to 35’ required.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution preferred. Specialized training and experience in scenic design and scenic art preferred. Supervisory experience preferred.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and education to be compensated on the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education Salary Schedule E3, Grade 4, Range $32,494 -$45,896.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Shelton State Community College employment announcements and applications are available at www.sheltonstate.edu or by contacting the Human Resources Office at 205.391.2272 or [email protected]. Application materials must be mailed or hand delivered to the Human Resources Office. No faxed or emailed applications will be accepted. The submission of all required application materials to the Human Resources Office by the application deadline is the sole responsibility of the applicant. No previous application files will be transferred for consideration of this position. The College will not provide copies of application packets. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements to work in the U. S. at the time of appointment and must travel at their own expense.
The deadline for submitting all application materials is February 19, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
Incomplete or late application packets will eliminate the possibility of an interview.
A completed application packet consists of:
 A signed cover letter of application relevant to the position.
 A signed SSCC employment application. Application must be complete. Electronic signature will not be accepted.
 A current resume
 Copies of all relevant postsecondary transcripts (Transcript copies must show the identification of the institution, the identification of the applicant, and verify that the applicant has received the minimum degree requirements as stated in the “Required Qualifications” section. The person chosen to fill the position is required to furnish official transcripts prior to the start of employment.)
 A written synopsis containing 300 words on the topic “How I Can Help Ensure Student Success at Shelton State Community College”.
In accordance with Alabama Community College System Policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form and a $17.40 fee will be deducted from the first payroll an employee receives for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from the criminal background check. Shelton State Community College is an active participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify electronically confirm an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States as required by the Department of Homeland Security.
It is the policy of the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education, including all postsecondary institutions under the control of the Alabama State Board of Education, that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, disability, sex, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. Each institution will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees.
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Posting Date: February 5, 2015

Does that pay seem low to anyone else?

It is in Alabama... low taxes and cheap housing. However, sounds like this is a department on 1 job that would own your life so that might be a bit low for that. If there was some other staff to spread the load out that would be a different story.

Id be happy to make $45K, I guess my bar is just set real low. I don't really feel like moving again tho.

Seems low, though just a high school degree and minimal experience. And median household income in US is around $50,000 so if two people were each earning $40,000 a year, they'd be near the 75th percentile. Some consideration for it being government work, which usually means good benefits and at least better than average job security.

I made $6000 a year in my first job out of grad school - but that was filling in for someone on sabbatical and the next year in a regular job it was almost $13,000, 37 years ago...

Id be happy to make $45K, I guess my bar is just set real low. I don't really feel like moving again tho.
I would too, but the way the pay scale sounds it makes it seem like you would max out at 45K. I mean it is a little over $21 an hour, but that is based on 40 hour weeks and I HIGHLY doubt the majority of your weeks are going to be 40 or under. If this was 45k for just the school year with the summer off, then It would be good, but year round at 32.5 breaks down to 15 an hour, and (let's be honest) their hoping for someone with a degree.

Also, you'd have to live in Alabama ;)

It actually is a pretty good gig. The salary range listed is just that -- a person could start out making more than the lower end and continue to get annual step raises. Once you factor in amazing and nearly free ($15/month) health care and educators retirement it's pretty sweet. Plus, after three years in the post-secondary system, you automatically become a permanent employee (kind of like tenure but not that prestigious as it's not based on peer review at all) meaning they can't fire you! Major job security. This person would not be all alone -- there is a whole staff and support crew who actually work under the Production Foreman. They are mainly responsible for running and overseeing construction in the scene shop. There are other people who handle LX and sound, though ideally the foreman would also know a par can from a fresnel. There are no nightly responsibilities - it really is a 9-5 job, year-round but you get tons of vacation and holidays. And another plus is the easy programming load. There is only a 5-show season for the resident theatre company plus another school department show and several one-offs like choir and band concerts here and there. There are a lot of people making way less working their butts off to crank out three times that level of programming. I came down here from New York and honestly Alabama isn't so bad -- Tuscaloosa is pretty cool, and I hear they have a decent football team....

It actually is a pretty good gig. The salary range listed is just that -- a person could start out making more than the lower end and continue to get annual step raises. Once you factor in amazing and nearly free ($15/month) health care and educators retirement it's pretty sweet. Plus, after three years in the post-secondary system, you automatically become a permanent employee (kind of like tenure but not that prestigious as it's not based on peer review at all) meaning they can't fire you! Major job security. This person would not be all alone -- there is a whole staff and support crew who actually work under the Production Foreman. They are mainly responsible for running and overseeing construction in the scene shop. There are other people who handle LX and sound, though ideally the foreman would also know a par can from a fresnel. There are no nightly responsibilities - it really is a 9-5 job, year-round but you get tons of vacation and holidays. And another plus is the easy programming load. There is only a 5-show season for the resident theatre company plus another school department show and several one-offs like choir and band concerts here and there. There are a lot of people making way less working their butts off to crank out three times that level of programming. I came down here from New York and honestly Alabama isn't so bad -- Tuscaloosa is pretty cool, and I hear they have a decent football team....
Got it. Your version of the job description is much better. It's odd how often the descriptions make jobs seem less desirable than they are. Totally worth it for a 9-5 job in this industry, but I don't think I can sell the wife on moving to Alabama. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back