Wireless Galaxy Audio Wireless Mic Help!!!

Maybe I wasn't clear. I would put the second mixer back stage with an operator that would be responsible for only the wireless mics. Maybe in a spot where he/she can see when the actors enter and exit the stage (or with a video monitor). The output of that board would be run to the main mixer. That way the backstage mixer operator can concentrate on mixing the wireless and turning the mics on and off at the right time while the booth operator can concentrate on how the mix sounds in the house. Just a thought.
Your next to last sentence pretty much sums it up. The person backstage can't hear how things sound in the house, if they can hear anything, so they may be able to hit mutes for cues, etc., but how are they actually mixing the wireless? And how can the person at FOH mix sounds in the house when they can't control the individual mic levels?

I think the bigger issue here is that I doubt having all the receivers backstage is going to fix the problem. I could be wrong but better RF front ends cost more and one of the common limitations of lower cost wireless systems is supporting a limited number of simultaneous systems, so I think the problem is most likely to be that the existing wireless systems do not support the number of simultaneous systems desired. If that is the problem then there may be no real option other than reducing the number of wireless systems or obtaining other equipment that supports a minimum of 14 wireless systems operating simultaneously in the existing RF environment. So before placing any blame or expending effort on other possibilities, it makes sense to verify that what you have is even appropriate for the application and has any chance of working.

Are you sure it is not an AS-QUAD, AS-QUAD, http://www.galaxyaudio.com/pdfs/AS-QUADcutsheet_v508.pdf and http://www.galaxyaudio.com/pdfs/AS-QUAD_Manual.pdf? That sounds like what you are describing, including using essentially the same receiver modules and transmitters used with the portable Traveler systems.

The DHT-QUADs have 120 channels in the 655-679MHz spectrum while the AS-QUAD, assuming that is indeed what you have, has 96 channels on 640-664MHz. The AS-1000 IEM system operates on 64 channels in the 682-698MHz spectrum. So what makes you say the older systems you have operate on much higher frequencies than the 655-679MHz DHT-QUADs?

However, a potentially important aspect here is that the system having X selectable frequencies does not mean that you can use X simultaneous systems. I can't find anything that actually references using more than one of the AS-QUAD systems simultaneously, but the literature for the Galaxy HDT-QUAD with 120 selectable frequencies states that it supports a maximum of four quad units (16 transmitters) in a single use. The Shure SLX wireless system has 960 selectable frequencies yet Shure identifies a maximum of 12 compatible systems per band and a total of 20-26 compatible systems using multiple bands while the nicer ULX systems are a maximum of 20 compatible systems per band and 62 total and the less expensive PGX systems suggest a maximum of 5 simultaneous compatible systems. And those are all maximum systems without any other internal or external RF sources, real world applications would often support less than the maximum number.

Have you talked to Galaxy regarding using two of the AS quad units simultaneously, not to mention using them in conjunction with the Shures and the DHT-QUAD? I could be wring but would not be at all surprised to find out that what you have was never intended to function with that many systems operated simultaneously.

You might want to make sure it is not a matter of user error or poor equipment selection before placing the blame on the equipment. This seems likely to be a case of the problem being misapplication of the equipment rather than of the equipment itself.

While the HotSpot is what they are best known for, Galaxy Audio has been offering a range of products for years. Their CheckMate SPL meters are probably second in popularity for a basic SLM only to the Radio Shack meter and I have a CRICKET polarity/continuity tester in my test kit. That being said, many of their products are 'value' products. And that could be the problem here, someone may have made a decision based on price without consideration for the actual application.

Yes, that is the system we have. I'm not sure why I was under the impression that they were AS 1000's. I haven't contacted Galaxy about possibly using too many, but I will try to. Also, trying to put a mixer backstage isn't an option. 1) We don't have a second mixer big enough to handle all of the mics. 2) I'm the only person that knows/has experience mixing a show like this.

A preliminary coordination suggests a maximum of 13 concurrent frequencies using the AS-QUADs without any other RF sources.

What model and frequency band are the Shures?

I want to give a big shout out to Galaxy Audio Support - they had the spreadsheet of frequencies for the DHT in my inbox just over an hour after I emailed asking for it...

So we now have all the information to do a real frequency coordination and see if we can get rid of any underlying RF intermod issues.

FWIW, DHT comes in 2 bands, D & L, we'd need to know which you have to do anything useful...

FWIW, their HotSpot line of small personal monitor speakers has been an industry standard for nearly thirty-five years. It's the only product I've ever heard of from that manufacturer.

This^ I have 2 and they are built like freaking granite rocks!

They make some decent cheap subwoofers also if low thump is more important the clarity.

We had the same problem when we used some "Theatre Provided" Galaxy mics. Didn't matter where we put them, over about 4 or 5 and we had trouble. We only use Sennheiser wireless mics. We have used 30 wireless body mics in one show, CATS, with no signal issues at all. Don't know if they make them for Galaxy or not, but a signal booster might work if you absolutely must use the mics you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back