Gauge Tables

I swear I've heard something about how the older a cable gets the more those find strands end up broken, thus reducing the actual load capacity of the cable.

I've heard that as well. I was told a lot of that has to do with how the cable is treated. Coiling over/under is supposed to help with this since the cable isn't twisted as much.

Breaking strands is yet another consideration, and yes, cable wrapping will determine life.

Here's an odd story; Some of the old Sony camcorders (late 1990's) did not filter IR too well in low light conditions. A friend was replaying a tape he had just filmed and I could see an odd "reflection" on a cable. I couldn't see it with my eye so I went over and checked the cable. It was warm at one spot, the same spot that looked like a reflection! I flagged the cable with duct tape and later cut it down to two shorter cables. The section I had marked, I cut open and found an internal area that was kinked and had about 30% of the strands broken. I suspect at one point it had been given a bad wrap job and got damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back