Gels for Apollo Color Scrollers

Cusetech

Hello all, I'm a new member so go easy on me. Our school is going through a major renovation of our auditorium with a new lighting, sound and fly system. I need to select 15 gels to install in an Apollo Color Scroller. Apollo has there own gels and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to which colors I should go with. The Auditorium, as you could imagine, is used for a wide range of activities, but is pushed to the limits during musicals.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Really, there is nothing wrong with the Apollo "Theatre" string. I used it for many different types of shows and it did what it needed to do.

I would look at what colors your designers/you use the most and throw those colors in if you want to make your own string. Take a look at the apollo string and see if you can refine it a bit to suit your tastes. It is at least a good starting point variety wise.

Welcome to CB! Glad you found us. There is a wealth of information here. Use the search function to loook for information and if you can't find what you are looking for, just ask.

With that being said, we do have strings with standard colors for theatre. If you aren't already sure of what you want/need, a theatre string would be a good place to start. It is a selection of some of the more commonly used colors for theatres. You can look it up on our website and see if those colors will work. Once you decide, contact your dealer and order what you need.

Cusetech, it's very difficult to select colors in a vacuum. You or I or someone else could select our 15 favorite colors, but have no confidence they'd work for a particular application. I would go with one of the manufacturers' stock collections.

...You can look it up on our website and see if those colors will work. ...
Where exactly on the Apollo website would that be, Grey? Now admittedly I didn't search very hard, but I couldn't find a list. After some Google searching, I did find this, in someone's venue specs.

ApolloGel “Theater” Gel String
Clear Leader
AP6300 Neon Yellow
AP7150 Santa Fe Amber
AP7650 Coral Amber
AP7550 Spiced Rum Amber
AP7600 Apollo Orange
AP8250 Vixen Red
AP8450 Spanked Pink
AP8750 Hot Pink
AP3250 Dominant Lavender
AP3700 Groovy Grape
AP4800 Ice Blue
AP4450 Heavenly Blue
AP4400 After Hours Blue
AP5960 Margarita Green
AP5500 Neptune Blue Green

ApolloGel “Rock and RollGel String
Clear Leader
AP6400 Pilsner Yellow
AP7600 Apollo Orange
AP7450 Golden Amber
AP8300 Diva Red
AP8350 Bludgeon Red
AP8750 Hot Pink
AP3150 Sour Grape
AP3700 Groovy Grape
AP3900 Voodoo Lavender
AP4450 Heavenly Blue
AP4250 Apollo Blue
AP4200 Bright Blue
AP4950 Caribbean Blue
AP5500 Neptune Blue Green
AP5400 Rock 'n Roll Green

From this thread, I found my own posting of GAM's/ChromaQ's/Wybron's stock strings:
Theatre Color String:
proxy.php

Frame #1 W024 Clear Leader
Frame #2 G480 Medium Yellow
Frame #3 G385 Light Amber
Frame #4 G340 Light Bastard Amber
Frame #5 G335 Coral
Frame #6 G345 Deep Amber
Frame #7 G270 Red Orange
Frame #8 G195 Nymph Pink
Frame #9 G120 Bright Pink
Frame #10 G970 Special Lavender
Frame #11 G948 African Violet
Frame #12 G720 Light Steel Blue
Frame #13 G810 Moon Blue
Frame #14 G850 Blue (Primary)
Frame #15 G540 Pale Green
Frame #16 G690 Bluegrass

Rock and Roll Color String:
proxy.php

Frame #1 W024 Clear Leader
Frame #2 G450 Saffron
Frame #3 G345 Deep Amber
Frame #4 G355 Amber Flame
Frame #5 G245 Light Red
Frame #6 G250 Medium Red XT
Frame #7 G120 Bright Pink
Frame #8 G995 Orchid
Frame #9 G948 African Violet
Frame #10 G930 Real Congo Blue
Frame #11 G810 Moon Blue
Frame #12 G835 Aztec Blue
Frame #13 G850 Blue (Primary)
Frame #14 G710 Blue Green
Frame #15 G690 Bluegrass
Frame #16 G655 Rich Green

And while we have Apollo's attention, could you confirm/dispel the myth/truth that one can't/shouldn't mix brands in a gelstring? I've seen this posted somewhere recently, and had never heard of such a thing.

Last edited:
There as a post here a week or so ago that said Apollo will make strings with multiple manufacturers. The difference was the attachment method, fussion with all Apollo, tape with a mix.

Thanks Footer and mstaylor.

I do not know of any reason why gel strings cannot be built using different manufacturers. We will build custom gel strings for using any combination of Apollo, Lee, Rosco, and Gam. We will even build strings for other manufacturers color scrollers.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused some confusing involves one of our methods of attaching gels to one another. We have an ultrasonic welder that we use for building our strings. However, due to the makeup of other manufacturers gel, that process doesn't work on all types of gel, and therefore must be taped.

Hope this clears it up.

As others have basically said, making your own string can be difficult. Because just because you get to choose 15 colors doesn't mean you only get to use 15 colors. When you have the scroller on an instrument, you can split the gel so that the color coming out is a combination of the two, which really helps increase the range of usable colors you have. When making a custom string, you need to think not only about what colors you want, but about what colors are next to what colors for mixing purposes.

Having said that though, do you know where the scrollers are going to be used? Also, how many are you getting? The colors you would want for backlight are significantly different than colors you would want for sidelight. Or will the scroller be being moved around between shows depending on where it's most needed for that show?

Where exactly on the Apollo website would that be, Grey? Now admittedly I didn't search very hard, but I couldn't find a list.

Using the menu on the left, go to Gel, and in the menu that pops up click on Gel Strings. In each color string, the colors are listed under the Specifications tab.

Thanks mstaylor. I will look back to see if I can find it.
You don't need to, Dave's post right below mine explain's the difference. Apollo can make strings using their gel with an ultrasonic welding method or a combination of manufacturers using a taping method. Also, they can make them for their scrollers or other companies.
I do not know if other companies have the same ability, maybe someone else here has more info.

Wybron will build strings from any manufacturer, for any scroller. For a short time, before Apollo, there was a company called The Girls of Precision Gel, and all they did was sell gelstrings. I wonder what happened to them? They may have become, or been associated with, Earl's Girls.

I just happened to find this pdf. May be useful.

Wybron will build strings from any manufacturer, for any scroller. For a short time, before Apollo, there was a company called The Girls of Precision Gel, and all they did was sell gelstrings. I wonder what happened to them? They may have become, or been associated with, Earl's Girls.

I just happened to find this pdf. May be useful.

Good day Derek, I hope all is well in sunny Las Vegas-

The two companies aren't connected, to my knowledge, as Don Earl (Earl Girls) maintains a successful sales/rental/repair shop based in Egg Harbor City NJ while the company formerly known as Precision Gel is a subsidiary of Arc Light Efx. A little history from the corporate website indicates the following:

On August 1, 2002 the current management of Arc Light Efx assumed control of the existing Pacific Gel and Xenotech rentals corporation’s business from Strong Entertainment Lighting (a division of Ballantyne of Omaha). Richard Hart founded Xenotech Inc. in 1986. This business has been providing sales, service, rentals consulting and installations of high intensity lighting equipment throughout the world and most intensively throughout United States. We continue to operate this business and improve it as a private corporation expanding the product lines and service support.

As an aside, there is an Apollo pocket gel converter that simplifies the transmission comparison. This item is available online at Apollo Design | Downloads or as a handy slide converter available free from Apollo. Just bounce an email through the Apollo website, send a PM, or dial (800)288-4626 to get yours today!

*operators are standing by.... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back