Genie lift falls on man

Unfortunately, this happens all too often. These lifts are made to lay back to get through lower doorways, but will make it through some without using that feature. Problem is, people don't always check first. If you are going too fast, it is easy to dump them over (seen it happen). A theater I worked for, we had to make a rule that a TD must be present whenever the lift was to go through a door, just for this very reason. Sad state, but people just aren't aware of their surroundings.

We rented a ballroom at a very large complex on a University campus last weekend to host a second chance prom...I was in charge of technical needs. They sent a team of decorators in to decorate and while they were decorating a large group of balloons got away and floated about 35 feet up to the ballroom ceiling. They all of course, looked at me and told me to go see what the house staff could do. i took an escalator down a couple floors to the customer service desk on the third floor...The student who was working and was obviously the one left in charge, told me that he could grab a genie lift and go get them. We went back up the the ballroom and sure enough, there was a genie lift in a storage closet. I stood quietly by and watched this student race this genie lift down the corridor and into the ballroom without flenching at the standard double doors to enter the area. He jerked it around and finally got the balloons and raced away. The point of this being, he was obviously untrained and not qualified to operate the equipment. He had no idea of the safety concerns related to running a piece of machinery. I really wish venues and companies would be more careful of who they allow to just zip around on equipment that has the potential to be so dangerous.

Apparently a high school is a very bad place to get hurt! Unless there was some reason to believe it was stopping major bleeding/something that removing it would exasperate we would've had it off him well before fire showed up. 4-6 of our crew semi-regularly lift 800# and 5 (4 of ours + one guy from the other company) people grabbed over 1200# when a lift gate broke on said other companies truck (nothing like seeing a guy about to get crushed under gear to get super-human strength!). I would venture thats also the case with most pro crews.

Based on the article, they were afraid it would fall again before they could move the injured. Maybe the lift was damaged to the point where it wouldn't stand on its own. That seems unlikely, but you never know. Or they were afraid of increased liability in taking further action. We could speculate all day.

If you get distracted it's easy to try to tip it over for the door without setting the tip-over frame and wheels into place first. It'll go down hard if you do that. I've seen it happen twice (once was to me, never again!)

our director in college was working in a genie lift one night after a build and it came unplugged at the bottom. unfortunately, his cell phone was in the house. so this 6'2" guy who weighs around 300lbs was stuck up in the lift for around 4 hours. why he was working in one by himself is beyond me, but after that, some new safety rules appeared in the work room......

our director in college was working in a genie lift one night after a build and it came unplugged at the bottom. unfortunately, his cell phone was in the house. so this 6'2" guy who weighs around 300lbs was stuck up in the lift for around 4 hours. why he was working in one by himself is beyond me, but after that, some new safety rules appeared in the work room......

Even unplugged, they should always be lower-able in case of a power failure. At least the genie we have does.

"All AC and DC models are equipped with an auxiliary platform lowering feature that enables descent from the Platform or Ground Controls in the event of a power failure."

Even unplugged, they should always be lower-able in case of a power failure. At least the genie we have does.

"All AC and DC models are equipped with an auxiliary platform lowering feature that enables descent from the Platform or Ground Controls in the event of a power failure."

That's correct. I wonder about the Genie in question, and if the safety feature was broken. Genies use the electric hydraulic pump to raise, but gravity pulls them down when you're lowering (notice that there is no "motor" sound -- only a hiss).

There must be a battery or something in AC models which allows you to use this feature. I never really thought much about it.

Last edited:
Some of them have a second small battery that allows for lowering when the power fails. It is very possible that the battery in his lift was dead. The one in the lift at our school just needed to be replaced.

Even with a dead battery they should always lower. Like les said the only power needed is to raise the bucket and then gravity takes over to go down. It's a safety thing so that you physically can't be stuck in the up position. At least I think, I've honestly never operated one unplugged and with a dead battery

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I know our two lifts (the schools, not the theaters :)()) have a small release valve, so nothing is needed to lower the lift, except gravity. And that is usually pretty reliable.

The poster said the person was working alone. On Genie products the emergency descend is controlled from the the bottom of the lift- tough luck if you're flying solo.

The poster said the person was working alone. On Genie products the emergency descend is controlled from the the bottom of the lift- tough luck if you're flying solo.

Which is one of the many reasons [-]one[/-] you should never work alone in a theater.

That's correct. I wonder about the Genie in question, and if the safety feature was broken. Genies use the electric hydraulic pump to raise, but gravity pulls them down when you're lowering (notice that there is no "motor" sound -- only a hiss).

There must be a battery or something in AC models which allows you to use this feature. I never really thought much about it.

The old silver models did not have this. The only way to get them down after they are unplugged is the lowering valve located under the mast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

yeah after that happened, we never worked alone with the genie. although, my fellow ATD did enjoy unplugging the lift while i was airborn and disappearing into the side room for a few minutes.

Newer DC Genie models have 2 batteries, AC units have 1. There is a secondary battery in the control panel that handles lowering when main power is disconnected. If this battery is dead then emergency lowering functions by the mast controller cease to function. Think about it, the mast controls are electrical and the main release valve is also electrically actuated. Without electricity the switch cannot work and the valve cannot open therefore disabling lowering functions. If the auxiliary battery is dead then if the lift comes unplugged the lowering function wont work from the mast. This is why the Emergency Lowering Valve is a manually actuated valve that you have to physically push and NOT an electrically actuated one.

That is why on new Genie Lifts even AC Units have a Low Battery light, the light is for the Auxiliary battery inside the control panel.

Articles like this scare me a little, I work at a school with a genie and the expectation is that I use the lift after hours when students are not around to maintain the space. The problem with that is that no one is left around and the amount of things that can go wrong or will go wrong can make me uneasy.

Articles like this scare me a little, I work at a school with a genie and the expectation is that I use the lift after hours when students are not around to maintain the space. The problem with that is that no one is left around and the amount of things that can go wrong or will go wrong can make me uneasy.

No one should ever work overhead alone. If you fell, were stuck, whatever, and were alone, it could be hours or days before you were discovered. Ask the school district if they're prepared to pay your disability, and deal with the inevitable lawsuit resulting from you being left alone for hours without aid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back