Getting into that MFA Program.

jzoppina

I'm nearing the end of my time in undergrad (degree in communications, concentration in film, television and radio) and I'm beginning my grad school search. I've been involved in theater in varying capacities over the past several years, but—like many of you—I really enjoy lighting design.

My first choice, pipe dream, would-love-nothing-more-than-to-be-accepted-there-school wants a designer's package containing all of the usual suspects: photos, cue synopses, light plot, intended emotional response, scene breakdown... it also wants research (historic, sociologic, light and color). The play that I'm using as my basis for this portfolio (Zimmerman's Metamorphoses) offers a TON of research opportunity in terms of history and color, and indeed, I have already spent (and continue to spend) a lot of time researching—but I'm thoroughly confused by the university's request for "sociologic" research.

Can any of you shed some light on this for me? (pun unintended) I truly appreciate any guidance or direction you can provide.

With sincerest thanks,

-John

Last edited:
Did you actually design Metamorphoses or is this an "unrealized" work? If it is unrealized, do you have a show that you actually designed that you can build a portfolio around?

What they are looking for is how does this play affect society. In other words, what does this play say about society as a whole and what can society take away from the play.

Any particular reason you are wanting to go straight to grad school?

I did design Metamorphoses and it was, in fact, realized. As a production staff we didn't talk too much about how it impacts society, per sé, though we did speak at length about certain themes that we wanted to highlight—like the ideas of constant change and evolution and the themes of both familial and romantic love (god knows, Aphrodite appears at least twice, Cupid once, and the last line of the show is something to the extent of "...let me die still loving, and so, never die.") I have to say that it was a challenge, given the vignette format, if you will... but I still find this show in particular extremely exciting. That's why I want to use this as my portfolio piece.

Why straight to grad school? A bunch of reasons, really. First and foremost, one of my professors recommended beginning my grad school search/application process now. Moreover, the timing just seems right for me, personally and professionally; my goal is to design and teach, eventually—and even if neither of those come to fruition, I work for a technology company right now and a degree related to entertainment tech is never going to hurt me (especially as multimedia is integrated into the theatrical experience). Further, I don't see myself being marketable in theatre with a degree in film/tv/radio, nor do I actually want to do anything within film/tv/radio. Practicality is another factor—I think that the job market is more conducive to higher education than immediate, in-field employment.

Last edited:
I did undergrad/grad back to back, haven't had any downfalls because of it. Most of my MFA cycle didn't spend much time between undergrad and grad. It can be tough to get a job in any field right now, so one major advantage to going into grad school is that it allows you to tiptoe through this job market. Just a thought. As for sociologic, there may be an element of your research that covers the effects of the play, and you can show that your lighting enhanced the stage to bring forth the collaboration (costume, scenic, direction) and help communicate your team's effort to the audience. Odds are, a costume designer and scenic designer will have more to say about the sociologic effects through their design, but you can still take the time to talk about how you approached those needs through your lighting.

Honestly it doesn't matter what you have your degree in in the entertainment industry. Even if you have an undergrad in theatre/ design your degree really goes out the door after the first 2 years of working professionally. I wouldn't recommend going to grad school right away I would recommend you looking to work for a production house, even if it means just shlepping cable you will have the opportunity to get your hands on gear and do gigs. I would also look at touring or working on a cruise ship as you will DEFINITELY get your hands on big technology there. I believe in order for you to figure out how to really be the designer you want to be you need to go out and work professionally as a grunt, board op, bench tech, electrician, programmer, moving light tech, general stage hand etc. This way you an get exposed to how people design in many different situations. to have an opportunity to see not only why do they chose to design something a certain way but i think just as important you become literate on the tools and technology to make the best decision's in executing a design. Plus in my opinion the best educators are the ones who went out and worked professionally for 15 or 20 years before they got into academia. This professional experience will also help you to not only get into a good grad program but also figure out what kind of program you want to go to. Do you want to go to a very academic research based grad program like Yale or Northwestern or do you want to go to a more technology and project based school like UNLV or Florida State. I have worked with plenty of people who have non theatre undergrad degrees who have found good work, including people with an RTF background.

Forgive my delay in replying to you—the school semester just began and it's been a busy week and a half! I just wanted to thank you all for your input—you've definitely given me some food for thought as to how I ought to proceed, and I appreciate your advice very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back