Ghostly Glow

Albert111

I am looking for special effects for the stage, specifically, making a character glow like a ghost in a theater in the round environment, where the stage lighting and budget is minimal.

Our group is performing, Blithe Spirit in the round. Any ideas for making the ghost, Elvira, more ghostly?

I have thought of using black lights, with glowing makeup and powder on clothing... Is this realistic or are there better ideas?

You could use black lights to get this effect, but they're rather expensive, you'd need large ones for most theatres, and you never know how they might react with other things. (costumes, sets, etc.)

I was running crew for a show using black lights, and I remember that at one point they made my shoes glow purple.

If this is a smallish theater then you might very well be able to get away with 'Over the counter' type Blacklights for this effect. some cheap shop light type flourescent fixtures and flourescent blacklights work very well for this type of effect. Now If you want the character to be 'Glowing' while in full stagelight you're going to need a more powerful source. Rosco makes several types of 'Invisible' paints. You don't see them under regular light but they flouresce under UV. Use the searh function you'll find this is a subject that has been discussed many times on here.

Being in the round, is it possible to have a followspot directly overhead to follow her in a greenish color?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back