Glass Shattering effect?

I'm designing a play entitled Enigma, by Floyd Dell. It's a neat little one act play. In this play, I require that glass shatters on stage. I have frames with sugar glass (hopefully the lights won't melt it before it needs to be set off, but that's okay this is a short play), and I need a way to make them shatter onstage.

Imagine a regular 4x8 platform. Now, imagine 1/4 inch steel tubing coming up a couple feet, with a window frame attached to it. Inside that frame is sugar glass. This whole set-up is will simulate a normal window. However, I need that window to bust or shatter. I can put a battery underneath the platform and wire it up to the glass, but I have no way of making the glass shatter through a wireless remote.

So my question: How can I make the glass shatter onstage to where it looks like its magic to the audience?

Re: Glass shattering effects?

Mouse traps, sling shots (NOT A RECOMENDED METHOD, but I've seen it done), string and weight release, are all easy (and cheap) ways. But more importantly, do you need to shatter it a certain direction (onstage/offstage)?

Also, you don't need to post the same question in multiple places.

Also, use the search feature, means of breaking glass has been discussed before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back