Gobo holder search - older Lee Colortran?

mcphoto

Hi folks - brand new around here - and yes, I searched first!

Got a great deal on a Lee Colortran ERS light - it's the 213 model. Focuses sharp, in great shape. Trying to find the correct gobo holder. On-line sources only mention the 5-50's and "windsors", and point me to a holder that's 3 11/16" wide (and some point to one that's 3 3/8").

However, the holder slot in the 213 is 4 1/8" wide (verified the size with cardboard - yes, the lamp was off!)

I did find a reference here to someone using wire to hold a small holder in place on a colortran; my concern is the way a too-small holder could flop around in there.

(BTW, I'm a photographer - love the Leko for smoky light beams, backgrounds, and doing really precise bouncing from white cards). Years ago I got into using cinema-style fixtures and grip for my fashion & product work, gave me a unique look... (and who'd-a-though I'd be shooting hi-def, film-look video with my still camera gear today?) So my lights get moved a LOT, multiple setups in a given day vs. hanging over a stage for a weeks-long production. Thus I'd like a tight holder!

If anyone knows the dimension/hole size & placement, I bet I could have one made. Just folded sheet steel, right?

Thanks - cruised this forum when I first found some deals on ERS fixtures, you folks have one of the friendliest & well behaved places n the interwebs - MC

Hey, thanks for the link - they do show the 5/50 as a 4" wide holder, I'll give that a try.

As for "windsor" - a couple different charts I came across showed "windsor" as a model name - this was Berkey, not Lee - in fact, I never did see a chart with Lee - I know there's a history thread around here, guessing Lee came before berkey??

Anyway, I've grabbed several Colortrans from the used market, especially open-faced units. They've all been durable lights for photo work.

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks - I picked up a donut on my last gel run (nice to buy something for $5 in this business, ain't it??). I'll be trying some non-FEL options as well.

Just checking back in to say thanks - holder's a perfect fit.

And... if anyone has an opinion - I perused some very long threads on this site regarding the best lamps for older Lekos. A tremendous amount of data, but I wasn't able to come to a conclusion.

In my case, I simply need tons of output - projection sharpness isn't an issue. But, I'll be using this on locations, often on household power, so an efficient balance of lower wattage draw vs. output would be great. And something readily available and hopefully reasonably priced would be great.

I used the light at a video shoot the other day to simulate sun coming through a window - with a CTB gel the FEL was just bright enough... the colortran will do til I can afford an HMI I suppose. Thanks guys - MC

The cost difference among the various lamps is nominal, so use the best one for your purposes: FEL, EHG/EHF, EHC/EHD are all old school. GLA, GLC, GLD, GLE are more modern and more efficient.

The 1000W FEL is the brightest lamp available (at I believe 28,000 lumens), though not the most efficient. Since you're using a single fixture for photographic purposes, If you want to eek out a few more footcandles, but at the expense of the 300 hour lamp-life and a higher color temperature, you might consider powering the fixture through a Variac. Most go to 130V. Use the formulae listed at Mathematical Formulas for Lighting specifically:
lumens/LUMENS = (VOLTS/volts)^3.4

life/LIFE = (VOLTS/volts)^13
(i.e. reduce the volts to 90% and the life increases by 393%!)

EFFICIENCY/efficiency = (VOLTS/volts)^1.9

watts/WATTS = (volts/VOLTS)^1.6
(not 'squared' as you would get with a fixed resistance)

coltemp/COLTEMP = (volts/VOLTS)^0.42
to determine the benefit/detriment.

If the fixture is not bright enough with an FEL, it needs a narrower lens.

As for "windsor" - a couple different charts I came across showed "windsor" as a model name - this was Berkey, not Lee - in fact, I never did see a chart with Lee - I know there's a history thread around here, guessing Lee came before berkey??
As best I can tell, Windsor was a model sold only in the UK. As for the company history, it went ColorTran, Colortran, Berkey-Colortran, LEE-Colortran, NSI-Colortran, Leviton.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll search up the specs on the newer lamps - higher color temp just saves me CTB gels... but if I had a Variac, I'd probably have it on my guitar amp first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back