Good use of frost.

I'm also of the opinion that R119 is too diffuse for our FOH, where architectural elements interfere with a focus, thus am then fighting the flare from the diffusion, thus I stock R132 in the cove slots for as needed. When an LD asks for R119 in the Coves, I try to talk them out of it with good reasons, as ultimately I have to answer to our Artistic Director who does notice the ugly flare and will ask, and he's paying the bills.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could you use an eyelash to prevent this spill while keeping the sufficient level of diffusion?

The cove positions are recessed in the audience chamber ceiling. Above our very deep pit, is a solid ceiling, the front of which is about 6 ft below the audience chamber ceiling. Front light focused upstage, tends to spill onto the front of this pit ceiling before you see it on the first border, it's a fairly steep angle from our left and right coves, thus the problem getting light US from those coves. Thus a half hat is not the solution due to the distances and is why too much diffusion causes a lot of noticeable bleed onto architectural elements that is seen from the audience. Often times, visiting LD's don't see this flare, or errant shutter cuts (while standing on the apron). Sometimes the focusing crew will point it out, sometimes the RRFU operator see's it, and is usually the person reminding the LD of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back